cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox will not sync, citing full storage. Dropbox folder only at ~60%.

Dropbox will not sync, citing full storage. Dropbox folder only at ~60%.

theastounding
Explorer | Level 4

I have just over 2gb in the dropbox folder on my desktop, of the 3.8 my account is allowed. I was previously almost full, and dropbox stopped syncing because of this. I tried to fix this by deleting a whole bunch of unnecessary stuff, bringing the folder down to well below capacity. However, dropbox will still not sync. Perhaps it is stuck in no-service-until-upgrade mode? Very annoying. Also, in the online portal, is says I am using 35.1gb of the available 3.8gb. Very odd.

Would love help, and the service to work again, as it should. 

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Jon

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@theastounding wrote:

Also, in the online portal, is says I am using 35.1gb of the available 3.8gb.

Check your Backups page.

theastounding
Explorer | Level 4
Hey thanks. I found that eventually. Dropbox forced a trial on me, then added 33gb of backups, then took the trial away and my account stopped working 😆. Thanks marketing team!

Rich
Super User II

@theastounding wrote:
Dropbox forced a trial on me, then added 33gb of backups ...

Dropbox can't force a trial on you, and the backup feature isn't enabled without opting in by either manually enabling it in Preferences or failing to decline the feature during the installation of Dropbox. If you just click click click through the install without reading each page, it's easy to accept the option to enable the backup option.

theastounding
Explorer | Level 4

Great thanks. I suppose in irritation I allowed the trial, after weeks of dropbox spamming popups everytime I opened my computer, and must not have disallowed the default "take up a full 10x more space in backups over a couple weeks", which must work wonders to fill paid user's accounts and require upgrades! Thanks forum for quickly giving me the answer! Dropbox tech support spent an hour telling me to remove the 300mb of shared folders, while ignoring my requests to help identify where the unknown 32gb of new files were that had filled up my account since the free trial started.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

theastounding Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?