cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

Hidden .dropbox_bi folder storing 87GB of files locally!

UBG
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I've just recently set up a new Dropbox Professional account. After installing the desktop app on my Mac I also set up a backup of my external SSD, which completed successfully yesterday.

Standard Dropbox file sync seems to be working fine, and the Dropbox app says everything is up to date, but for some reason I now have a new hidden folder under my Mac user folder called .dropbox_bi. That folder is storing 87GB of files on my primary SSD, apparently related to the 220GB of data backed up from the external SSD.

Is this my life now? Or is there some way to recover that massive waste of precious primary SSD storage space?

90 Replies 90

Mythor
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

No, I have been using the same one for years.

Rialas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have the same hidden file. 1tb ssd and this file is using 527gb. Can I just delete it.

rolandvanboxtel
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi There,

I just found out I have the same problem but then wit 301GB. My iMac is not functioning anymore. Yesterday I deleted 156GB of other storage, but now my HD is full again. I looks like it has to do something woth the back-up of my external HD. Please help. Thanks.

Kind regards, Roland

Anwick
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi there, I've discovered the same issue with our M1 Mac Mini. My editor kept running out of space despite it having plenty. 

I found the hidden dropbox_bi folder and it's 225GB!

It contains a long folder name and within that folder is a DropboxBackup folder which hold some files for our main storage desktop drive. What's going on as every time I clear space elsewhere, Dropbox steals it. The subfolder is called "Hard drive name (restored files). Can I delete this and have my space back?  

Oh and to add to insult the Dropbox client won't run now due to lack of hard drive space!

Edit. I've been on live chat who don't have a clue, the last suggestion was to try looking at THIS THREAD! 

Told the person that it's okay to admit they don't know and they surely must have a system to pass to a tech department! All they ended up suggesting was to email support!

Rialas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I feel the original poster should have been given advice here rather than privately by email. Could have helped us all.

gbasterra
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have the same problem. 62 GB related to my copy of External HD. Any solution? Can I deleted this hidden folder? dropbox_bi. Thanks.

Anwick
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm currently in email exchange with Dropbox tech support and they have escalated it as they don't know. As soon as I hear anything back I'll post it here.

gbasterra
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you! I have made the query in the forum in Spanish too.

ol_tones
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm also experiencing this issue - 236GB of space being taken up on my PC's main C drive, seemingly in relation to the backup of my external SSD. If I clear more space on that drive by deleting other files, it seems Dropbox is immediately filling that freshly created space. Have also emailed support.

593c5ab2-35fd-459a-9dc8-1776397d6a36.png

 

Rialas
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
I have deleted the file, Dropbox came back with an error. Once I restarted Dropbox asked if I wanted to back up my external ssd’s which I clicked NO.
I’ll manage my own backups for external drives if Dropbox is going to take half my 1tb internal ssd.
Need more support?