cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to free up space without doing an upgrade

How to free up space without doing an upgrade

Bob C
Explorer | Level 3

Dropbox  has 1,249 files. 2.83 GB used

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II

@Bob C wrote:

I discovered that I was backing up files from an external hard drive to my DropBox. How do I delete them?

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II

@Bob C wrote:

Dropbox  has 1,249 files. 2.83 GB used

You can free up space by removing files from your Dropbox. If you don't need the files, simply delete them. If they're needed, move them out of the Dropbox folder on your computer or download them from the Dropbox website to your computer and then delete them.

You can also earn additional space through referrals.

Bob C
Explorer | Level 3

I discovered that I was backing up files from an external hard drive to my DropBox. How do I delete them? 

I removed my external hard drive from my desktop. 

Rich
Super User II

@Bob C wrote:

montanophoto
New member | Level 2

I have earned additional space from referring users. Will I lose that space if I upgrade temporarily?

Rich
Super User II

@montanophoto wrote:

I have earned additional space from referring users. Will I lose that space if I upgrade temporarily?

No. In fact, the amount of space you earned through referrals will double to 1GB for each referral for as long as you're on a paid subscription. If you cancel the paid subscription and go back to a Basic account, all referral space will be halved back to 500MB per referral, just as you have today.

Bob C
Explorer | Level 3

I deleted the external hard drive from Dropbox. I still have the 2.37 GB in storage.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bob C Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
    montanophoto New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?