cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Freeing up space

I need help freeing up space in my Dropbox account

Steven E.7
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I had a notice that I was running out of space - So I deleted a bunch of files in my Dropbox - But it seems I still have the same amount of space being used - Is there some "compact" thing I should be doing?

21 Replies 21

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Rich R.  Thanks for the reply.  One would think that is true, however; my DB has very few files in it now & shows the exact same storage usage.  

I deleted pretty much all large files ( photos mainly) & emptied most of my folders ( estimate permanently 90% deleted).  There should be very little MB used up now but it is showing over 118%. 

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

And what is the breakdown of shared files versus regular files?

></p>

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi again Rich & thanks so much for the quick reply.  

I have no shared files in my public folder. I use DB cloud only for an interim backup before external HD backup.  

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

M, Only folders can be shared, so what do you mean by "shared files"? And "public folders" are shared folders, AFIK. 

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes. (ie) my public folder is empty - no documents. I do not share any documents via DB nor do I access other people's public folders. 

Jeff S.52
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

If Dropbox does not help solve this issue about not recognizing that a person deleted files but still did not free up space, then I'm moving on to a new cloud storage company. This suggests a struggling business that is willing to frustrate a customer in order to up-sell. For me, it's now about trust and not about a monthly subscription. Likely to move on the iCloud or Amazon. Also a problem when there seems no way to actually talk to the company about this issue. Instead, we're stuck with this limited forum where no techy from the company weighs in to help solve a thing. 

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Agreed Jeff S. Very frustrating.  I've waited a week now and nothing, no change. Compare to other forums - where there are experienced teams or troubleshooters that will assist, and even if a respectively smaller company.  This is awful & I may just switch. 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

In order for Dropbox to sync what happens on Dropbox.com, your computer must be running dropbox.exe.

MT2000
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thx Rick M but I have the Dropbox app (for Mac) - not running a PC. So that's not the problem. 

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
Go to solution

Substitute the MAC equivalents.  I'm pretty sure that's going to be the issue, but you can post the results of    https://www.dropbox.com/account#personal

Need more support?