cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

Incorrect dropbox space usage on windows

storion
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Guys,

My local Windows Dropbox is fully synced with my online Dropbox.  Windows Explorer file/properties shows my Dropbox folder is 576 MB but to my surprise, dropbox.com and dropbox app both say my dropbox is full. I have checked the plan tab and found my regular file size is 3.4 GB which is not correct. My shared folder only takes less than 100 MB. What is going on here? Why the discrepancy? Any inputs?

Thanks,

Tao

673 Replies 673

donbie1492
New member | Level 2

donbie1492_0-1698782402118.png

If I go to any device I have, the actual size is under 2GB.

Rich
Super User II

@donbie1492 wrote:

If I go to any device I have, the actual size is under 2GB.

You have the backup feature enabled. Go to your Backups page to review your current backups. Note that the Backup feature is not the same as just syncing files in your Dropbox folder. You've likely connected an external drive and allowed Dropbox to back it up.

TM22UK
New member | Level 2

Hello,

I'm getting constantly pestered to upgrade my account, because I'm over the storage space issue, which I have no intention to do.

I wanted to delete some files, only to be told "permanently deleting files won't free up space" which is highly illogical.

Does anyone know how to free up storage space? 

It's been suggested to look at a backup page, but I don't seem to have one, at least I can't see one anywhere.

As it's impossible to really contact anyone in "support", any help here would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @TM22UK, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

Just to clarify, deleting files does free up space in your Dropbox; permanently deleting the already deleted files, though, won't free up any more space.

Are you receiving emails about your Dropbox space being full or pop-ups in your Dropbox?

What does your plan page show about your space usage?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

TM22UK
New member | Level 2

Hi Hannah,

Thanks for clarifying.

I have received a few emails about upgrading my account last few days.

But that's not really required, as I don't use Dropbox frequently. In fact, I only opened an account as this was the only option receiving some files from someone, years ago, and then again recently.

But as you wrote below, the issue looks now to be solved.

Thanks 

CATUNGA
Explorer | Level 4

I don't want to have a Security Backup in DROPBOX and now I have no more storage space because I can't get rid of this Backup I didn't want.

Help me, please!!!

maher1982
Super User

Hi,  Please follow the instructions in the attached article

https://help.dropbox.com/organize/delete-dropbox-backup

Debbie_H
New member | Level 2

Hi.  I have a basic free account with 2GB space.  My computer shows I am using 199KB - there are no files in it and no shared files.  How can I get back to being able to using some space?

Mark
Super User II

Have you accidentally set up backups?

www.dropbox.com/backups

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Debbie_H
New member | Level 2

Fantastic that's what it was!  Many thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    kimbo990 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
    ennor New member | Level 2
    CATUNGA Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?