cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Real folder size won't show in Finder

Real folder size won't show in Finder

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I am looking to resolve an issue I'm just experiencing now for the first time.

When I do a command + i to see the size of a dropbox folder on my finder, the finder now just show me the size that the folder take locally. Before I could see the size of the full folder + the local size.

For example, I have a folder of 20 go with 5 go of it accessible offline :
Before the finder was saying "20 go (5 go on the local disk)"
Now the finder show me "5 go (5 go on the local disk)"

Here is a screencaps that illustrate the issue :

Capture d’écran 2023-10-26 à 14.21.05.png

To the left I have the folder "PLAN 1" in the dropbox via finder, it indicates 25 ko for 551 elements
To the right I have the exact same folder on my back-up hard drive, it indicates 42 go for 551 elements (the real size of the folder).

So my question is, how this feature suddenly disapperead and how can I make it come back ? It is an essential part of my business to be able to check precisely the amount of data I have !

For info, I'm running Ventura 13.6. One of my attempted was to update de MacOS because the problem started when I was on Monterey.

Thanks a lot ! 🙂

22 Replies 22

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Lageole, thanks for messaging the Community.

In general, the size on disk would be the files physically stored on the computer using the available offline option, and the size would be the logical size (if all the files were local).

As you're not seeing this, are you certain that none of the files have changed on the Dropbox site?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Hello Jay,

Thank you for your answer !

Before this problem occured (this week), I was always seing the full size of the folder (and in parenthesis the space it is taking localy). It was a really great things as the finder and folders were acting as any other folder of my computer. It was also really helpful to understand the size of folder even if they are not offline and also to perfom clone backups.

Right now, on the example / screencaps I showed, I guess it is acting logicaly (25ko) as all the files are online. There has been no modification from the dropbox site. My struggle is that I would want to see the real size of the folder, wether it is online or offline (as that was the case since I'm using dropbox).

I don't know if it is clear, I'm sorry this is a really abstract problem to describe !

Jay
Dropbox Staff

What setting do you have on this page for Online-only files on Mac?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Ok my page is in french but I supposed we are talking about this : 

"Online files on the Mac
In the Finder on the Mac, files stored online will display "zero bytes", making it easy to spot files that are taking up space on the hard disk."

If yes, I have it disabled !

Should I activate it ?

Thank you !

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Yes, please could you activate it to see if this helps with the display.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Ok I try to disabled it, waited like 5 minutes and then restart the application but it didn't change nothing.

Now I reactivated it to see it change something but I don't have trace of improvment so far !

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

But what this option is describing is actually the core of my problem ! But even thought the option was disabled (so supposed to show the full size of the folder online), the feature was not working 😕

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application, without uninstalling it first, by using this link?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Lageole
Explorer | Level 4

Ok I followed the link, download and install (even if it was saying that the app was already installed and the computer), and the app restarted. I still have the issue (I waited that the sync process was finished) 😕

Need more support?