cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Size of files on dropbox harddrive and dropbox.com not corresponding

Size of files on dropbox harddrive and dropbox.com not corresponding

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

Why is the size of a folder on my dropbox drive different to the size it is on dropbox website?

10 Replies 10

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @annapretorius! Welcome to our forum.

If you don’t mind, I’d like you to send me a couple of screenshots of what you see on your end (both on the Dropbox website and the desktop app). 

This way, we can compare both and take it from there. 

Thanks!

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

Why does the file size on my dropbox harddrive, and the file size of the same folder on dropbox differ?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @annapretorius,

Haha...😀 Very fundamental question... and there are many different thoughts about. There are 2 main/basic different measure conceptions for multiplication. One of them is, like most others measure units - SI based, multiple by 10 (i.e. 1kB = 1000B, etc.); the other is using power of 2 conception and as closed as possible to the SI standard (i.e. 1kB = 1024B, etc.). Of course many different "hybrid" forms can be seen. The difference you have seen comes from different measure unit concepts in use, most probably. The same file, on the same physical place, can be seen as different sized if observed through different file browsers that use different conceptions. I just made a test:

изображение.png

Here is the same file, as seen from different local file browsers. And here is the same file as appear on Dropbox web:

изображение.png

It's easy to see where what conception is in use. You can decide what's more correct to yourself. 😉 Just keep in mind the possible differences. In all cases the actual file size is the same!

Hope this clarifies matter.

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

Thanks I will send some screenshots. I am working on a mac. I dont know if this is the issue with size calculation?

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 8.06.04 PM.png

 This is the file size as shown on my Mac.

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

When I go on dropbox.com and calculate the size of the same file it is smaller.

Screen Shot 2023-05-09 at 8.08.18 PM.png

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

599.18gb on dropbox and file size is 643.11gb on my harddrive.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi again @annapretorius,

Your scenarios is a bit more complex, cause it's matter of how the space is spread and result efficiency of used space in addition to measure conception differences - you are evaluating folder tree, not just a single file. If we self-restrict us to the conceptions only, it's easy to be seen - your Mac is using standard SI conception, but Dropbox is using more popular power of 2 conception. e.g. your Mac assumes 1GB = 1000x1000x1000 = 1 000 000 000B, Dropbox assumes 1GB = 1024x1024x1024 = 1 073 741 824B. 😉 That's it.

Bad thing here is that Dropbox doesn't represent the size in bytes also, together with the more convenient representation, so to be avoided confusion if/when are any doubts.

annapretorius
Explorer | Level 4

So do you think ALL my data is safely stored on dropbox although the sizes differ?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    annapretorius Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?