cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Storage Space

Looking for help with managing the storage space in your Dropbox account? Talk to the Dropbox Community and get advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are my files being directed to upgrade their accounts when I share files with them?

Why are my files being directed to upgrade their accounts when I share files with them?

DJDreStar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I regularly have clients tell me that they cannot view the files I have sent to them because their Dropbox account doesn't have enough space and that they are being directed to upgrade their accounts by buying more storage space.  Not understanding why this is happening to them I usually use WeTransfer to send the files and they are able to access them with no issues.  This is extremely frustrating for me and my customers... it's also quite embarrassing and doesn't look good professionally!  I have been a paying customer with Dropbox for some time and this issue has become more and more of a nuisance; early on this did not happen at all.

I thought that a Dropbox account was not needed to view the files I share via a link.  If this is still true why can't my clients access the files I send them? and why are they being made to believe that they must pay for more storage in order to view the files, when they really don't?  If I am being honest this feels like a deceptive marketing tactic and makes me look bad for using your service.

Can someone please help me understand how to make this stop?  Please!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DJDreStar wrote:

I thought that a Dropbox account was not needed to view the files I share via a link.  If this is still true why can't my clients access the files I send them? and why are they being made to believe that they must pay for more storage in order to view the files, when they really don't?

If they're sent a view-only shared link, an account is not required. They may be prompted to create one, if they wish, but this is optional and not required to view the link. If you've sent an edit link, an account is required.

If they're being invited to a folder then an account is required and they need to have enough available space to hold the shared folder.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@DJDreStar wrote:

I thought that a Dropbox account was not needed to view the files I share via a link.  If this is still true why can't my clients access the files I send them? and why are they being made to believe that they must pay for more storage in order to view the files, when they really don't?

If they're sent a view-only shared link, an account is not required. They may be prompted to create one, if they wish, but this is optional and not required to view the link. If you've sent an edit link, an account is required.

If they're being invited to a folder then an account is required and they need to have enough available space to hold the shared folder.

DJDreStar
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thank you for the reply.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DJDreStar Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?