cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mount Dropbox as external device

Mount Dropbox as external device

bertalanimre
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Forum,

I know this is getting old, but I can't belive it has no solution. 

I have a VPS with 40GB hard drive. I'll need a DropBox account with an insane, size of some terrabytes. Now I want obviously reach these files from the VPS (CentOS 7 Linux without GUI) via a folder. So how can I mount the DropBox share like an external drive, so it is not syncing with a local folder. I would do the syncing on my own with copying my files from the VPS to the mounted folder. I would say, the copy it self is the sync?

So how do I do that?

Thanks in advance!

Bert

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has no such functionality. There are some third-party utilities that can accomplish this, but they are not supported. Try a Google search instead.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox has no such functionality. There are some third-party utilities that can accomplish this, but they are not supported. Try a Google search instead.

bertalanimre
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Thanks Rich. I've already done that. Actually looking for this solution for the last 3 hours, but I was hoping I'm just skipping it always. Seems I'm not 😞 In this case, DropBox is not good for me.

Carl H.16
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

You can map OneDrive to your local PC.  It's a bit slow but it works.  I think that now it is a bit faster than it used to be.  You can google how to do it but it is a straight forward mapping.  You might want to try it with the free account to see if it meets your needs.

vfmclub
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Same issue here, can't believe DB doesn't have this function. We have 12TB in DB and various VMs all over the place, scripts that back up the Linux folders and send them to backup folders in DB all by shell scripts, also scripts that copy files in DB to the servers when needed. But actually mounting a share which is similar to sshfs to the DB folder seems unlikely to happen.

We do know its possible but can't find out how.

1. Get a Cloud PlexMediaServer from Plex, this server allows DB shares so we know its possible so why are they not letting this go main stream. Very strange.

Anyone shed light do ley us know.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@vfmclub wrote:

1. Get a Cloud PlexMediaServer from Plex, this server allows DB shares so we know its possible so why are they not letting this go main stream. Very strange.

Any solution provided by a third-party (such as the one from Plex) would be accomplished using the Dropbox API. It's not a feature that Dropbox is holding back. Third-parties create it themselves using the commands available in the API.

vfmclub
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks - i will look into this.

arancaytar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Ironically this is now one of the top result of that very Google search. 😕

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

arancaytar New member | Level 2