cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Adobe After Effects unusable on macOS 12.3 due to Dropbox

Adobe not downloading online only files from projects

TBirds
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi All,

after updating to MacOS 12.3 I have not been able to open project files (Premiere/After Effects) without errors of not finding files that are in dropbox as 'online only'. Prior to the Mac update all files would auto download to be on my machine locally. I know there's an issue with full support for OS 12.3... any updates or solutions folks have found?

thanks 

91 Replies 91

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

Hi there, 

In order for this fix to be applied, you need to opt into Dropbox for macOS on File Provider. The latest version of Dropbox for macOS utilizes Apple’s updated File Provider API and fixes issues related to opening online-only files in third-party applications for users on macOS 12.5 or higher. You can read more about opting into Dropbox for macOS File Provider here. Please note that not all users are eligible at this time.

This is being rolled out to Dropbox Teams at the moment, but the team admin must choose to opt-in for the entire team when they are told it has been made available. If you are experiencing this issue, and are a member of a Dropbox team, then we recommend to align with your team admin and ensure that they opt-in as soon as they can, so that this issue is fixed for you. You can find out more here.

Regards,

Emmet

dom burgess
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Emmet, will this force me to use my Mac's internal drive for DB storage? If so, this is unworkable. I work in digital media, dealing with terrabytes of data at any one time. 

Thanks

Emmet
Community Manager
Go to solution

You can find out about all the expected changes here. It will change the internal location of your Dropbox folder, as part of Apple's changes. Where is your Dropbox folder currently located? 

dom burgess
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Currently on 4TB external SSD. Absolutely no way I can update then until there is a work around (assuming there will be one). I've no doubt this change makes it easier/more stable or whatever, but it's just not good enough for creative professionals working with large amounts of data. I appreciate this is coming from Apple, but I am part of a 100+ employee company, and we pay DB a lot of money for our 72TB cloud storage, so please fight for us to get this resolved! Thanks

joeburke1
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

So I am having this exact issue with After Effects. I have made all of my synced files local to my computer and I am running DB v172.4.7555. Not sure why I am having this issue if it was fixed in a previous version according to this thread. Any patch from Dropbox would be appreciated. 

MacBook Pro M1

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @joeburke1, sorry to see you're having this issue.

Have you already updated your Dropbox application to the new Dropbox for macOS version?

To confirm this, check if your Dropbox folder is currently located in your User folder or in ~/Library/CloudStorage.

Let me know what you find.

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Luc-FJ
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi there, also having lot's of Dropbox issues in combination with Adobe After Effects. Inside the AE workfile, relinking of files that were first "Dropbox" offline, then online and back offline again will give errors that AE can't open the source file. Can be .mov's, .png, .wav etc. Also happens when opening projects that were made on different machines. It's not even the smart sync feature that I would love to see working, but also when I'm certain that I've downloaded everything locally offline this problem occurs.

Re-naming the files that are giving errors is one way of getting them back inside the project. But that is not a solution for when you have lots and lots of files.

Would like to see a fix for this error, it's getting out of our control to manage. Re-importing files and option (alt) replace them inside the media pool is so much more work then a quick re-link session. Can be easily hundreds of manually replacing files.

MacBook Pro M1, macOS 13.4
DB v174.4.5852

j2762mm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Professional user here as well now with the same issue.

I purposely hardly ever update my computers once I get them working well, because I never trust companies with updates or to not break things and subsequently cost me days of time.

I finally had to update as I see Dropbox was about to drop support for my mac OS. So I took the leap and upgraded to Monterey, the highest OS version my machine will take. 

And now immediately I'm here on a forum researching a problem which is causing me all the same issues listed here in the thread. Tried to check that setting to enable updates for the team but it's not on my account.

Is this actually ever going to be resolved? Considering the OS came out 2 years ago I am worried at this point.

Everything worked so perfectly before with my old versions 😫

AbelG
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Its a disaster, wasted of time, works into the trush!....I have to reinstall macOS to Big Sur to make this issue solved, come on Dropbox!...make an update to fix this, because there are many programas to replace you, Mega, Drive, and many more.
After 2023 on MacOS Big Sur the last OS thats make things go find.

j2762mm
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I contacted Dropbox for an update and more info.

Their response told me it's expected to be ready in May 2023 (I guess he didn't read his own e-mail, because this conversation happened in June)

And also told me to contact customer service if I was a business user. Which I thought I was already doing. 

Need more support?