cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Android: Kdbx files can only opened with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer which is wrong!

Android: Kdbx files can only opened with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer which is wrong!

kitingChris
Helpful | Level 6

Why can I open Keepass *.kdbx files only with Google Drive-PDF-Viewer?? It is no PDF. Why does the dropbox app does not let me choose a different App to open the file with? Why not use the android default app open selection??

55 Replies 55

Jimadine
Explorer | Level 4

I've also got this problem, and yeah, exact same experience with the 'Make available offline' suggested workaround. For me the problem is compounded by the fact I'm still running Android 5, and Dropbox recently dropped support for Android < 6. This means I am locked into the broken 190.2.2 version, thus being excluded from any possible future bug fixes for this problem. It definitely used to work fine when launching from Dropbox, so it's 100% the app that's faulty.

For me the simple workaround is not to open Dropbox in order to open my .kdbx file. Instead, open Keepassdroid and (with my settings) it'll remember the .kdbx's filepath to open. It always seems to open an up-to-date copy of the .kdbx file, despite not opening it from the Dropbox app.

DrRob
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I'm having trouble opening .kdbx (KeePass) files from Dropbox on an Android phone.  I was originally using the KeePassDroid app, and switched to KeePassDX to try to resolve the issue, but have since found the problem occurs with that one too.

The way it manifests is that I open Dropbox on my phone and tap my .kbdx file and expect it to open in the KeePass app.  The file downloads, the screen goes blank momentarily, and then I am returned to the file list.

I can work around it by using the "..." icon to open the menu on the .kdbx file, toggle the "Make available offline" off, then do it again and toggle it back on.  Then when I tap the .kdbx file, a dialog pops up to ask which app to use to open it.  I select KeePassDroid or KeePassDX and tap "always", and the file opens in the app as expected.  If I close it and try again, it works a second time.  However, if I try again another day, it fails to open and I have to apply the workaround again.

I did on one occasion see a "toast" message when trying to open the file - something about it not being a valid PDF file I think...?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @DrRob, thanks for reaching out to us here!

Just to note, I've moved your post here as it seems that you're having a similar issue the OP described. There may be some helpful info here if you have the time to look through this thread.

Some have mentioned here that they no longer have this issue with the latest version of the mobile app. Can you check if you have any pending updates for the app at all?

If not, please let me know which version of the mobile app you're using.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

wmacghee
Explorer | Level 4

My version of the Dropbox app is the current one for my device. The version number is 196.2.6

I have had success to get the .kdbx file to be opened by KeePassDroid by toggling the make available local switch. -which is a big relief.

yours,

Will MacGhee

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for joining us here @wmacghee!

Also, I appreciate you taking the time to share what worked for you with us here. I'm sure that this will be useful to others looking into this too. :grin:

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Desiboy681
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I too faced the same issue after updating Dropbox.  Then today I realized every time I open .kdbx file, it would open the .pdf program instead of Keepass.  As wmacghee mention, he toggle the setting but couldn't find it.  So, I checked in Dropbox and selected the 3 dots next to the .kdbx file and selected "Make available offline".  Then when I open that file, it automatically open the KeePassDroid app.  Then I close everything and went back to same place and disable "Make available offline".  Then I was able to open the file again without issue.  Hope this work for others.  Hopefully the developer fix this permanently in the next update.

Thanks.

hhorak
New member | Level 2

The work-around with "Make available offline" mentioned above works for me as well. 

DrRob
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Daphne,

Apologies - the email notification about your reply went into my Spam folder and I've only just found it.

I have my phone set to update apps automatically and it's running app version 198.2.2 and I still have the problem.  The Play Store app says that Dropbox updated 4h ago.  Just to be sure, I closed the Dropbox app and then started it up again, but the problem persists.

I have a Samsung A5 (2017) phone (model SM-A520F) which is running Android version 8.0.0 (last update 30th April 2020).

Rob.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @DrRob!

There's not much else I can suggest here I'm afraid, but if you haven't already, I can suggest having a look at Jay's previous post here.

Cheers!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Van van Van
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

I'm having the same issue. Has been going on for a long time now. I've used Dropbox and KeeppassDroid for years, but this issue has been there for the past year or so. Can't you Dropbox people repro and fix this? All you need is an Android device, Dropbox and KeepassDroid. It's tempting to see a conspiracy against Keepass use here.

Making the file available offline only temporarily improves the issue.

What is it that makes Dropbox or the Android system think that these files with names ending in .kdbx are PDF's to be opened with Google Drive's PDF viewer? Does Dropbox use pieces of Google Drive? Does it save files in a location associated with Drive?

Please give this some attention. Synchronizing my passwords between Windows 10 and my phone is the reason I use Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DrRob Explorer | Level 4
    scale New member | Level 2
    Van van Van Explorer | Level 4
    beej75 New member | Level 2
    Corrupt Kangaroo Judge New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?