cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Can't download files: "Failed - Network Error"

Can't download files: "Failed - Network Error"

Massa R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello,

I've been having trouble to download some files from my dropbox account. I click to download the file, it starts, but then it sops, saying it Failed - Network error.

Is there anybody here having the same problem? How can I fix it?

I had this problem with multiple files, with different sizes (from 2GB to 7GB) and mine is a Pro Account (1TB total capacity).

Thanks anyways!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all, let me update this resource, as others may have the same question, so it might be useful for you to get a direct reply here! 

You may keep in mind that if you’re trying to download a (zip) folder from our website & you’re getting a "Failed - Network Error" message, it may be attributed to the following reasons: 

• The folder is bigger than 20 GB in total size (this has changed since the previous reply was posted). 
  • The folder has more than 10,000 total files

Of course, carljohan’s suggestion (i.e. going with the "Add to my Dropbox" option) can still be useful if you’d like to save larger files to your Dropbox account. 

On the other hand, it's highly likely that you're facing a different issue if you're trying to upload your files & you're hitting an error, so the troubleshooting may vary depending on the message you're getting. 

I hope that this is helpful to anyone visiting our Forum with this inquiry & I’m always here in case you may have additional questions about this behavior. Cheers! 

Mod note: edited to update link in post. [last updated 2022]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

carljohan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Massa,

It isn't currently possible to download folders that contain more than 10,000 files or are larger than 1 GB via the web interface. If you need to download a folder larger than this, the best way to do so is by adding the files to your Dropbox and allowing them to download to your computer using the Dropbox desktop application.

Once you click the "Add to my Dropbox" option, these files will be added to your Dropbox account and will immediately begin syncing down to your linked computer(s).

Hope this helps!

Heinz S.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Upload does ot work anymore. Unknown mistake. Consult support.

What does this mean?

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey all, let me update this resource, as others may have the same question, so it might be useful for you to get a direct reply here! 

You may keep in mind that if you’re trying to download a (zip) folder from our website & you’re getting a "Failed - Network Error" message, it may be attributed to the following reasons: 

• The folder is bigger than 20 GB in total size (this has changed since the previous reply was posted). 
  • The folder has more than 10,000 total files

Of course, carljohan’s suggestion (i.e. going with the "Add to my Dropbox" option) can still be useful if you’d like to save larger files to your Dropbox account. 

On the other hand, it's highly likely that you're facing a different issue if you're trying to upload your files & you're hitting an error, so the troubleshooting may vary depending on the message you're getting. 

I hope that this is helpful to anyone visiting our Forum with this inquiry & I’m always here in case you may have additional questions about this behavior. Cheers! 

Mod note: edited to update link in post. [last updated 2022]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Mylenechamps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, 

Someone sent me a dropbox link and I would like to download the folder of 14 go to my laptop but I always get the error "Failed - Network Error" after many hours of download. 

I have tried:

- Chrome browser not incognito

- Chrome browser incognito

- Add the folder to my dropbox account and then download

Could you please help?

Thanks,

Mylène 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Mylenechamps, welcome to our Community!

I've merged your post into this thread because it echoes the OP's question.

Have a look at what my colleague, @Jane mentioned. 

What is the size of the folder you wish to download?

Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Mylenechamps
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey Megan, 

The folder is 14 Go, none of these solutions are working, I can't download to my laptop.

Please help?

Thanks,

Mylène 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the speedy reply, @Mylenechamps

Have you tried a different network and browser? 

If I were you, I'd give it a go! 

Also, just make sure that you don't have any VPN, or plug-ins blocking your browser and connection.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?