cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot edit excel files on any other device b/c workbook is read-only

Cannot edit excel files on any other device b/c workbook is read-only

Graz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I recently created my Dropbox account so that I can keep track of an excel document at any time I need to access it.  I am able to view and edit the excel file on the original computer (Windows 7) I uploaded it on; however, I am not able to edit it on other devices.  I can only view them.  When I attempt to edit the file on another laptop (Windows 10) and on my cell phone (Windows Phone 8.1), I get the message:

"Can't Save

Changes can't be saved because this workbook is read-only. Save it with a new name."

I cannot figure out why it is not working.  I am accessing the file from the Dropbox App on both my laptop and phone.  I also did not save it as a read-only file as I can edit the file on the original computer.  I want to be able to view and edit the file from any of the other devices so that I can keep the spreadsheet up to date.  The file is an .xlsx file type, which I believe should be supported by Dropbox.  The only thing I can think of that may be the problem is the email address I used to open my Dropbox account.  The email address I used is an .edu account.  I am not sure if that is considered a business account or a personal account.  Can someone please help me?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Graz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thank you so much for replying to my email!  I recently solved the problem on my laptop.  It turns out I had the mobile app installed instead of the desktop app.  I am still having issues on my  Windows Phone though.  Here are the answers to your questions:

• Are you opening the Excel file using the Excel application installed on the cell/computer, or are you accessing them via the web only.
    • Yes.  I have Excel installed on both my Windows Phone and laptop.
  • You mentioned a specific Excel file, does this happen with all Excel files or just this specific file?
    • I just tried it again, and this happens with all Excel files using my Windows Phone.
  • If you create a new Excel file from the other computer or cellphone, can you edit it on the other devices, or do you get the same error?
    • As I already mentioned, I solved the problem with my laptop, so i am able to edit files; however, I cannot on my Windows Phone.  I just created a new Excel file on my phone and added the file to my dropbox.  I was then able to open it on my laptop and edit it, but when I went back to my Windows Phone to see if I could edit it, I got the same error, "Can't save. Changes can't be saved because this workbook is read-only.  Save it with a new name."

According the the help section, it appears that IOS/Android are able to edit files on phones.  Are Windows Phones unable to edit files?  I can't seem to figure this one out!  Thanks again for your help!

Graz

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi there,

Just to confirm, when editing the file, you mentioned using a cellphone and another computer. Could you help me to look into this matter by letting me know the following:

- Are you opening the Excel file using the Excel application installed on the cell/computer, or are you accessing them via the web only.
- You mentioned a specific Excel file, does this happen with all Excel files or just this specific file?
- If you create a new Excel file from the other computer or cellphone, can you edit it on the other devices, or do you get the same error?

Thanks in advance!

Jay

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Graz
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Jay,

Thank you so much for replying to my email!  I recently solved the problem on my laptop.  It turns out I had the mobile app installed instead of the desktop app.  I am still having issues on my  Windows Phone though.  Here are the answers to your questions:

• Are you opening the Excel file using the Excel application installed on the cell/computer, or are you accessing them via the web only.
    • Yes.  I have Excel installed on both my Windows Phone and laptop.
  • You mentioned a specific Excel file, does this happen with all Excel files or just this specific file?
    • I just tried it again, and this happens with all Excel files using my Windows Phone.
  • If you create a new Excel file from the other computer or cellphone, can you edit it on the other devices, or do you get the same error?
    • As I already mentioned, I solved the problem with my laptop, so i am able to edit files; however, I cannot on my Windows Phone.  I just created a new Excel file on my phone and added the file to my dropbox.  I was then able to open it on my laptop and edit it, but when I went back to my Windows Phone to see if I could edit it, I got the same error, "Can't save. Changes can't be saved because this workbook is read-only.  Save it with a new name."

According the the help section, it appears that IOS/Android are able to edit files on phones.  Are Windows Phones unable to edit files?  I can't seem to figure this one out!  Thanks again for your help!

Graz

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I dont believe Windows phones yet have the ability to write back to Dropbox, but, thats something you'll need to ask Microsoft as its them who implement the integration to Dropbox

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Patel_200
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I had the same problem but in my android.
It just started happening recently after android update, i believe.
After making changes on the excel file, when i try to save, .xls is the only option available and still unable to save the file.
Works fine with windows.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Patel_200 New member | Level 2
    Mark Super User II
    Graz Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?