cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Comments box bug: not showing comments, and disappearing.

Comments box bug: not showing comments, and disappearing.

mattbailey
Explorer | Level 4

Hi all,

As recently as January 2024, the comment box when scrolling through documents has become really buggy, with the box disappearing, and entire comments disappearing. This is really concerning for teams that use uploaded scanned documents like receipts for accounting and tagging them for Xero. Any idea what's going on here? Happening for all users, all shared, all notifications are on.

8 Replies 8

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mattbailey, let's jump right into this!

Provided that you're on our website, would you try switching browsers just to check if this is a browser-related issue, or using an incognito mode, and then trying again?

When did this start happening, and does this happen with all of your commented files too? 

Thanks so much for gathering more info!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Storm2
New member | Level 2

Hi,

I am having the same issue and it is happing on Chrome and Edge. I am not using incognito mode either. I need to leave comments on each of the files when scrolling through and having to click on comments button on every file is really time consuming and irritating. Did dropbox do an update in January which might have caused this issue?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Storm2, thanks for posting here! 

There hasn't been a change on this as far as I'm aware, but it's odd that you noticed it on both of your browsers.

Do you think you could maybe send me a few screenshots, in order for me to have a visual of what you described, and check if we need to let our team know about this? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Rich
Super User II

@Storm2 wrote:

I am having the same issue and it is happing on Chrome and Edge.

It's worth testing on a browser other than Chrome or Edge.

Both Chrome and Edge are based on Chromium. Typically, if you're experiencing a browser-related issue in one, you'll experience it in the other as well. Try Firefox or some other non-Chromium based browser.

mattbailey
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Megan,

Thanks. This is browser-based and happening on both Chrome and Safari, on both Mac OSX and Windows. The best way to describe this is when scrolling through uploaded PDF scans with the left and right arrows, the comment box on the right has become either hidden, or is missing entirely. When clicking on the comments icon, it now seems to require 3 x clicks for the box to appear (80% of the time) or a Ctrl-R to start again. Definitely a bug going on here somewhere. 

This first appeared just after the new year sometime, so after 1st Jan. It's been affecting our accounting teams through January so far.

Thanks,

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @mattbailey - sorry to jump in here, but do you happen to be running any plugins or extensions that could be causing issue with loading the visual elements of the page properly? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

mattbailey
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

I'm running a few plugins which might cause some issues, but my colleague who brought this to my attention isn't, and we're both having the same issues.

Thanks,

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hi from me too, Matt! Have you both made sure there aren’t pending updates to be installed on your browser? 

Also, what happens if you test this via an incognito browser? Are you experiencing the same behavior?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Nancy Dropbox Staff
    mattbailey Explorer | Level 4
    Walter Dropbox Staff
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?