cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Dropbox reduce the quality of pictures?

Does Dropbox reduce the quality of pictures?

Guy R P.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am told that, due to compressing techniques used, (professional) pictures stored loose quality when stored and then downloaded from dropbox.
Is that tru?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Make sure you're using the Download button to get the original file. If you're using the browser's Save functionality, all you're saving is the preview of the the original file, and not the original.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Dave M.43
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm pretty sure it isn't. If they do compression it is probably lossless, meaning the removal of extraneous/duplicate data which doesn't affect the quality of the image at all. See:
[removed per the Community's Guidelines]
Dave

Peter M.63
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I put some photo's into Dropbox to share with a friend. I asked him if he was able to download a photo at original quality as it's important for us at a future stage to be able to send each other original sized images.

I uploaded one photo that was 7.33mb - he downloaded same, but it downloaded at 256kb!!

I did a 'Save As' on the same image and it came out at 2.85mb.

What on Earth is going on?

If we cannot exchange full sized images between each other without loss of quality then Dropbox will be dropped!!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Make sure you're using the Download button to get the original file. If you're using the browser's Save functionality, all you're saving is the preview of the the original file, and not the original.

[This thread is now closed by moderators due to inactivity. If you're experiencing a similar behavior, feel free to start a new discussion in the Dropbox Community here.]

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Peter M.63 New member | Level 1
    Dave M.43 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?