cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox right click context menu missing

Dropbox right click context menu missing

Superpetak
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi guys,

today, probably after downloading and installing latest stable release a Dropbox, the context menu disappeared from Windows Explorer.

Dropbox version: 183.4.7058

Windows 10 version: 22H2 OS build 19045.3448

Unfortunately I am not sure, what version was installed prior to update.

Any ideas to solve this? Was reading older posts of same issue and not sure how to proceed? Downgrade to older stable and disable updates for a while?

Thanks Petr

58 Replies 58

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @kellerEVO, sorry to hear about this.

Could you please let mus know your device's exact OS version and the status and version of the Dropbox desktop app installed there as well?

If you could also send us a screenshot of the options you get when you right click on files in your Dropbox folder, I'd appreciate it. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

iNfeRnO B.
Helpful | Level 6

Given the number of people this is cropping up for after the recent Dropbox updates, it seems like it's definitely a problem on Dropbox's side.  Please fix your client instead of making your customers jump through a bunch of unnecessary hoops.

turgan
New member | Level 2

Windows 11 user here with a new Zenbook. I had incredible amount of problems installing dropbox which involved uninstalling and deleting registry entries and reinstalling. When dropbox finally installed I realized the context menu is missing. Its still missing.

I tried modifying the registry entries as mentioned to no effect. 

I also tried installing the old Dropbox 182.4.6427 Offline Installer.x64 version also to no effect.

I am eagerly waiting for a solution to this since my Dropbox is basically larger than 2.5 terabytes and there are some folders which I need to keep on computer at all times and some dont.

edit:  it is working now. not sure what worked. here is what i did in order:

-changed registry entries to add spaces in front of their names.

-reinstalled the Dropbox 182.4.6427 Offline Installer.x64 version 

-restarted

-changed windows preferred language to English

it didnt work at first but now it seems to be displaying the context menu on a right click.

suraj_fiji
New member | Level 2

Sorry, this didn't work.

RogK
New member | Level 2

Did almost all the the same.. to no avail.

Then did that last little "changed language to English" that worked..
..one wonders how many people have now mucked around in Regedit on their machines, perhaps we didn't even need to reinstall and index all over again.. 

James123123
New member | Level 2

It's Dec 2023 and this is still happening... client v188.4.6302 at present on Windows 10.0.19045.3693

What is the fix to get the context menu for "Copy Dropbox Link", the most useful of any Dropbox features, to show up again? 

James123123
New member | Level 2

is there a newer build than 182 that also have the "Copy Dropbox Link" context menu working?  I'm on v188.4.6302, which was auto-updated and it still doesn't work. 
Seems wrong to downgrade to something as old as v182 to make this work right.
This is the most important feature Dropbox has. What is the solution?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @James123123, thanks for posting!

Is the application otherwise working and syncing as normal? Do you see the syncing icons on your files or are they missing too?

And have you recently upgraded your OS perhaps?

Also, out of curiosity, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app as well? Maybe that will do the trick. 

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

RogK
New member | Level 2

Did you try the change drop box "prefered language" to English not "system" default?

I did all the others as well but it was that one that actually made it click over (restart as well perhaps)

if that doesn't work then go through all the steps Turgan wrote

In the end I:
Changed registry keys (i know that's not really comfortable) suspect this is not the main issue.
Re-installed Dropbox (also not fun)
then did the language step..
give it time and a a few re-starts

(seems to be an issue more on my Windows 11 machine than my Win 10 one)

understand you should not have to do this, really drobox should be fixing itself.. very frustrating I know.

alonzo86
Helpful | Level 6

Hello,

I have to chime in. I have the same issue starting from September... Tried everything suggested by support, everything I could find here on Dropbox community, started my own topic,  went with the support back and forth again, tried this language settings here and can't make it work... 

The only thing that helps is uninstall-reinstall... I gave up, is there any way to prevent Dropbox from automatic updating at least ?

Thanks

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    alonzo86 Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    plannerguy New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?