cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Want to REMOVE the Capture feature completely

How do I disable or remove capture?

Jessica D.20
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How do I disable or remove capture? The screenshot URLs do not work for some reason. I just want to go back to the old dropbox screenshot URLs. I've uninstalled dropbox capture and unchecked/rechecked the dropbox settings in the regular dropbox app, but my screenshot URLs still use the capture domain. Those do not work, they just return a 404, every time. Additionally, they do not unfurl in slack, and other users then have to download capture to view. This is so frustrating, how do I remove it?

58 Replies 58

Cat_CO-OP
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Was a reply ever given to Jessica that included how to completely remove the capture to dropbox feature? I want it gone and I cannot seem to remove it no matter what I do. Please do not tell me how to "fix" it so it works properly. I want to REMOVE the feature so that I can screenshot and paste the old-fashioned way that worked for me for years.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Cat_CO-OP, thanks for posting on our forum today. 

Here is how to do it:

1. Make sure the Dropbox desktop application is installed and open on your computer.
  2. Open your Dropbox desktop app preferences.
  3. Click the Backups tab.
  4. Uncheck the box next to Save screenshots and screen recordings to your Dropbox.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

donraymedia
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Youcef,

It sounds like you're the person to help me understand what the heck "capture is," why it's working in the background on my desktop computer, how can I disable or delete it and stuff like that.

I have a business supreme (the top level) account but I'm the sole user, the soul team administrator and only have one team -- that team is me and me only.

I keep seeing the computer saying it's backing up or processing DonRayCPTR or something like that.

What the heck is it?

Why is it there?

If I have nobody whatsoever with whom I wish to communicate (whatever Capture communicates -- I don't know) and I don't see why it's doing anything on my account. May I please be rid of it -- especially since I can find no place anywhere that tells me specifically what it is and why I (or anybody else) would need it -- whatever "it" is.

Would you be kind enough to send me an email that addresses this giant question mark please? My email is [Removed as per Community Guidelines]. I'm not sure how I would find a reply to you and this forum. If there's any other human being who understands what I'm asking -- and has a simple explanation -- I'd welcome and EMAIL from you as well at [Removed as per Community Guidelines].

Thanks so very, very much.

Signed,

Baffled in Burbank.

YoucefDropbox
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It has probably nothing to do with Capture. I suspect you might have turned Dropbox Backup on. Follow instructions here https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/how-to-use-dropbox-backup#disable to disable it. Hope this helps 🙂

donraymedia
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks very much, Youcef.

If you wouldn't mind, please tell me what Dropbox Back up is so I can understand what's going on. Do you understand what the CPTR means? Thanks.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @donraymedia, Dropbox Backup is a feature that allows you to automatically sync and backup certain folders on your account to Dropbox, namely Documents, Downloads and Desktop. It's unrelated to Dropbox Capture as they are different features entirely.

Regarding the CPTR, could you attach a screenshot showing where you're seeing this message?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

patricepcs
New member | Level 2

Every time I log on to my PC, Dropbox Capture launches. I cannot see any kind of setting to prevent this. As a result, every time I need to go to the dropdown and Quit. It's a nuisance. While I do want to continue using Dropbox, I do not want to use Capture. How can I disable or uninstall it?

I'll appreciate help on this.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @patricepcs, I moved your post to this relevant thread, so if you'd like to stop Dropbox Capture from backing up your screenshots and screen recordings, you can follow the steps Nancy posted here.

Otherwise, you should be able to uninstall it, just like any other program on your computer, from your control panel.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

gurumakeupemporium
Explorer | Level 4

I have been having a similer issue i cannot disable capture from my laptop been trying for months it is driving me insane as I used screenshots all the time at work and it was so easy  this capture is a nigthmare! Your suport suggested I get rid of all my drop box and upload it again  this is not feasible! just want to get rid of capture from my laptop. I cannot find it in any apps or programms because I have already uninstalledd it?? I use microsoft on windows 11, please advice?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Sorry to see you're having trouble, @gurumakeupemporium.

Have you tried Nancy's steps here?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?