cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: DropbBox Downloads

How many people can download a file I shared before getting an error?

stackflood
Explorer | Level 4

Hi,

I have a file of 2 MB on dropbox and I am quite active on social media. In case of going it viral (it might have 100-500 people downloading it at the same time), how many people can download it simultaneously without getting a timed out request or other errors (related to dropbox api).

Thanks.

5 Replies 5

Fearg
Dropbox Staff
Hey,

You can find our policy on traffic restrictions on shared links here in our Help Centre:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/4204

Here's hoping to a viral hit!

Thanks,
Fearg

Did you find my post helpful? If it answers your question, please mark 'Accept as Solution" below so other users can find it quickly! 🙂

stackflood
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Fearg. Thanks for the Link. Yes, the content is something directly from the wikileaks database. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

20 GB/Day or 100,000 downloads/day. This looks good. But how these 100,000 downlaods are distributed over a day. On calculation , it roughly gives 100,000/24*60*60 ~ 2 downloads/sec. How and when throttling will come into picture ?

Rich
Super User II

stackflood wrote:

How and when throttling will come into picture ?

As soon as you hit 20GB of traffic or 100,000 downloads within a 24-hour period, your share links (ALL your share links, not just the one that reaches the limit) will become disabled. Note that it's a 24-hour period on a sliding window, and not per calendar day.

Also, remember that Dropbox is not intended to be a content distribution service. It's meant for the occasional sharing of files with those people you know. You certainly can share links publicly, but if they go viral then you'll most likely run into these limits. If you do...

A first-time suspension for a bandwidth overage is 24-72 hours and will be lifted automatically. Each subsequent suspension lasts longer. If you're a Basic user, upgrading to Pro will also clear a bandwidth related suspension (because it increases your limit from 20GB/day to 200GB/day, or 100,000 downloads to unlimited downloads).

There are other reasons suspensions occur as well, and due to privacy concerns, the message will always say that it's bandwidth related. The file could have been reported as part of a DMCA request, it could contain a virus or malware, etc. There are many other reasons. In these cases, the suspensions are not lifted automatically and you need to contact Support.

Open your ticket here: https://www.dropbox.com/support
Track your ticket here: https://dropbox.zendesk.com

Replies take approximately 1 - 3 business days with Pro users getting priority (longer for Basic users).

stackflood
Explorer | Level 4

So, technically, as soon as 20 GB is not exhausted on a 24 hour sliding window, it doesn't matter if 100 or 1000 users are downloading the content at the same time ? 

Rich
Super User II
I've never seen a concurrent user limit mentioned.
Need more support?