cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to add a public dl.dropboxusercontent.com file to my dropbox?

How to add a public dl.dropboxusercontent.com file to my dropbox?

Sarah N.
New member | Level 2

Someone's sent me an enormous file with a public dropbox link like https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12345/filename.zip

My browser wants to download it, but I'd rather add it to my dropbox and download it via dropbox, the way I can with private links like https://www.dropbox.com/s/12345/filename.zip?dl=0.

Is this possible?

8 Replies 8

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
A "regular shared link" should give the recipient a way to save directly to their dropbox account via the web (with no need to download first).

This should let a recipient copy a file from DB sender to their own DB account without using a shared-folder.

Ask the sender to click the "SHARE" button and enter your DB account email address. Does that work for you?

Sarah N.
New member | Level 2

I'm not actually sure where this SHARE button is or what you mean by a "regular shared link"... I think he's sharing via the windows right-click context menu > "copy public link".

But anyway, yes, I could ask the sender to share it with me some other way, but assuming I can't, is there no way to add a public dl.dropboxusercontent.com link to my private dropbox?

For a better example, here's a real public shared link which I generated via the right-click context menu "copy public link":

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11786661/neko.zip

Rich
Super User II

Public links don't give you that option. Only share links do. Share links are created by selecting Copy Dropbox Link and can be created for any file in your account (not just within the Public folder, which in no longer present in new accounts).

Sarah N.
New member | Level 2

Bummer! But thanks. I've added a feature request for this, though I expanded it to adding files to dropbox via any url. Here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/205773003-Suggestion-add-from-url-add-file-to-...

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

Sarah,

What part of "File Request" does not do that job for you?  It lets anyone put a file in your dropbox folder "file request", you can then send your group a link to that folder so they can see and access it.

Sarah N.
New member | Level 2

It looks like File Requests either require the user to have Dropbox, in which case why not just share the file normally, or to upload it via their browser, which is impossible for files this big. I also didn't have time to request my client to send it again, and my feature request is for a method that would work even if you didn't have contact with the file owner. But File Requests might be useful in the future for less tech-savvy clients - thanks!

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

File Requests does Not require the user to have DB (but they will "Invite"!!!)  FR is an update of a tool that was once from a non-db developer. 

rafael p.5
New member | Level 1

Yes, it is possible.
what  want's to do is possible with Dropbox Saver. 

The shared file will be sent to her dropbox directly, from the public shared link she has, to a folder inside her dropbox account. Cloud-to-cloud. There is no need for her to download to her machine and than re-upload to her account. File will be transferred directly because it's is public shared.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rafael p.5 New member | Level 1
    Rick_M Experienced | Level 13
    Sarah N. New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?