cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Illustrator Files won't open after downloading or syncing back to my Mac

Illustrator Files won't open after downloading or syncing back to my Mac

Bsmalldesign
New member | Level 2

I just went into my dropbox and synced/downloaded some Illustrator files from last year. The dropbox preview shows the file and the finder shows the thumbnail for the file. All of the linked files/fonts are in the same folder where they were packaged together last year. I try to open one of the .AI files and get the error: "Could not open the file because the plug-in could not understand the file". I also would sometimes get an ANSI encoding popup where I would have to choose the type of encoding I want, even though I created the files in Illustrator on this same computer. This is frustrating because now I can't work on the files.

2 Replies 2

Bsmalldesign
New member | Level 2

Also, I can open/see the files perfectly if I open the AI files in Photoshop (but of course I don't need them opened in Photoshop, I need them in Illustrator, haha).

Bsmalldesign
New member | Level 2

Looks like somehow when Dropbox synced, it corrupted all of the placed/linked image files because I can't open those in Photoshop individually. When I delete them from the linked folders, I'm able to open the AI file. But now I have to re-source my images.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bsmalldesign New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?