cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there anyway to hide online-only files in Mac finder?

Is there anyway to hide online-only files in Mac finder?

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there. I only have a few select files and folders I use offline, active projects and whatnot.

Is it possible to completely hide the online-only files that are still visible in my MacOS finder?

I know they're not taking up space, but it's a bit of a mess to navigate, and by "a bit" i mean "very".

There's really no need for me to see all those endless files just sitting there, every day.

Thanks in advance!

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II

@allandbyallo wrote:

Is it possible to completely hide the online-only files that are still visible in my MacOS finder?

You can use Selective Sync to remove the local copy of a folder without removing it from your account online.

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

Hi there. Thanks I'd already done that. What I mean is ALL of the files are still visible in my finder, though the online-only are indicated with the little gray icon. I'd like to ONLY be able to see Offline files, if possible. Is that a possibility?

Rich
Super User II

@allandbyallo wrote:

What I mean is ALL of the files are still visible in my finder, though the online-only are indicated with the little gray icon. I'd like to ONLY be able to see Offline files, if possible. Is that a possibility?

You're referring to individual files that are in the root of your Dropbox folder? If so, no, there's no way to remove them. Move them into a folder and use Selective Sync to remove that folder.

allandbyallo
Explorer | Level 4

Yeah that's what I meant. Alright thanks for your time and assistance! 

rosielennie
New member | Level 2

Hi allandbyallo - I think this might be what you need....

Go to the Dropbox icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen, then click to your profile pic.
Scroll down to Preferences
Go across to Sync
Down to Selective Sync
Click Select Folders
Uncheck the ones you don't want to see in your finder window

You should be only able to see your Offline files then.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

rosielennie New member | Level 2
    allandbyallo Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?