cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Listen to music via dropbox

Listen to music via dropbox

jan m.17
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I placed my music in dropbox. If I want to listen directly using dropbox, I can listen only to one song at a time I had to select an other song in a folder to listen again. Is there a possibility to listen to more songs or a complete CD?

78 Replies 78

Neil W.6
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Why is that, exactly? In addition to sharing raw files, Dropbox already has a built-in audio player, a built-in image viewer, a built-in documents viewer and a built-in video player. In addition to viewing images individually it has the capability to create an entire image gallery from a folder of images - it is not a huge jump to assume a folder of audio could be played sequentially in the existing audio player. After all, that’s essentially what a playlist is.

Applied to your scenario McDonalds is already selling all the car parts and advertising that it does vehicle repairs, so it’s not a silly or unreasonable request to say ‘you have all the parts available and we know you will change a brake-pad, so why won’t you change a tyre as well?’

Also, I’d generally expect a more helpful, and perhaps more adult response from an ‘Experienced Collaborator’. There may very well be technical challenges that mean this feature is not possible, and it would have been fine to relay those, but your response was facile, rude, dismissive and added zero context. As a developer looking in from the outside this should be relatively easy to implement and is therefore reasonable to request.

seattlesurpher
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

It doesn't appear that Dropbox has created this feature yet, but it also appears I'm not the only one who's been interested in playing multiple audio files in a folder continuously such as Box. I'm definitely interested in this feature as I use Dropbox to store all my production sessions with bounced audio files. It'd be great to give clients and friends a series of music (such as an album or playlist) with the functionality of an audio player to skip to next track...pause, fast forward, etc. I know that's probably a HUGE feature to develop, but it seems like a really solid one for professional music makers, audio lovers, etc. that dig Dropbox and pay for the platform. Thanks for consider!!!

FoulFoot
New member | Level 2

I don't know if this is what everyone else is looking for, but....  I've been searching for an iOS player that could basically import my WinAmp MP3 music library stored in a Dropbox folder, and scan MP3 tags as well (so music can be sorted into genres, albums, etc).

Every app I've tried -- dozens -- will generally let you download or otherwise import your Dropbox MP3 files, but it dumps them all in one big folder sorted alphabetically by title (filename).  That's totally not helpful.

FINALLY found one that correctly scans all the MP3 tags and sorts correctly into a library: CloudBeats for iOS (thanks to a previous poster in this thread).  It autoplays the next song, too.  Hope this helps someone.

Rtipping2001
Explorer | Level 4

I use Cloudbeat for my iPhone it plays my Dropbox folders and in the car also via car play.

gravelld
Explorer | Level 3

Not sure if it's helpful but I wrote a free online tool that allows you to browse your Dropbox and play, skip, shuffle, repeat, view album art etc: https://asti.ga/dropbox-music-player

No install necessary!

Let me know how it can be improved.

Disclaimer: this is a free tool hosted on my commercial music streaming service's website. The free tool is gratis though.

Gizmofo
New member | Level 2

THANK YOU! Man, this is hard to get a solid answer to a legit question. Cloud Beats seems to do the trick

PG_VoiceFirst
Explorer | Level 4
Actually, you can play your own audio and video from Dropbox with these Alexa skills: Sound Stream and My Video:

www.amazon.com/dp/B095K38Q2K
www.amazon.com/Voice-Activity-Ltd-Sound-Stream/dp/B08NDD6TWZ

You will need Echo Dot (playing audio only) or Echo Show (playing audio or video).

Grae Matter
Explorer | Level 4
“there is no solution” is the solution? Seems like Dropbox could easily create a simple media player that works in the Dropbox app. I’ve been using db for years now and love for everything about it except that it won’t play multiple files.
Come on Dropbox, read the room!

jan m.17
Helpful | Level 6
Found one ‘CloudBeats’ €9,99
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

jan m.17 Helpful | Level 6
    Grae Matter Explorer | Level 4
    PG_VoiceFirst Explorer | Level 4
    Gizmofo New member | Level 2
    gravelld Explorer | Level 3