cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: MP3 and MP4 files don't show an image of its content.

MP3 and MP4 files don't show thumbnails

Ronald_Ramakers
Explorer | Level 4

MP3 and MP4 files don't show an image of its content. I only see the default file image.
Also in Google Drive I only see the default file image but in OneDrive from Microsoft I see the image of the content for both MP3 and MP4 files.
It would be great if Dropbox also could add this feature to show the image of MP3, MP4 and perhaps other audio and video files.

6 Replies 6

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for posting on our Community, @Ronald_Ramakers

Can you clarify on which Dropbox platform exactly you’re not seeing a thumbnail of your audio/video files (is it on the Dropbox website/desktop app/mobile app)? Were you able to see a thumbnail before, and it doesn’t show anymore? 

Feel free to send me a screenshot of what you see, as well.

Ping me for more updates.

Nancy
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Ronald_Ramakers
Explorer | Level 4

I'm talking about the Dropbox website as well as the Dropbox app.
I only see thumbnails with the default images of an MP3 and MP3 file but not a thumbnail with image of the contents of the file.
Compare this with jpg and other image files. Thumbnails of jpg files show an image of its content. So, I also would like this with MP3, MP4 and other audio and video files.
Google Drive also shows thumbnails with the default images for MP3 and MP4 files but OneDrive from Microsoft shows thumbnails with images just like jpg files.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the updates, Ronald! I’ve checked this on my end as well, and video files seem to have a thumbnail when I view them via the Dropbox website. 

Did you check this via a different browser, and you see the same thing? Also, on your desktop app, are these files offline or available online-only?

As for your .mp3 files, since they usually don’t have any images attached to them, can you clarify if you’ve edited them and added your own photos by using another software?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Ronald_Ramakers
Explorer | Level 4

Youtube Downloader Plus.pngDropbox (MP3 files).pngGoogle Drive (MP3 files).pngOneDrive (MP3 files).png

Ronald_Ramakers
Explorer | Level 4

I'm working in Chrome OS with the last update.
Because the supported files for uploading are only: .jpg,.JPG,.jpeg,.JPEG,.gif,.GIF,.png,.PNG. I can't upload the original MP3 files.
Hence, I made print screens of my MP3 files in Dropbox, Google Drive and OneDrive. Just take a look at the attachments.
Dropbox and Google Drive can't show an image of converted MP3 files. They only show the default MP3 image as you seen in the attachments. But you can also see that in OneDrive these same MP3 files show an image.
Of course, MP3 files don't show an image by default. But there are many apps which can convert video MP4 files to audio MP3 files. These MP3 files show the original image from the MP4 files. I use the Linux app Youtube Downloader Plus but there's also a lot of Windows software which can do the same.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for these screenshots, Ronald! I see what you mean now.

I’ve forwarded this as feedback to the relevant team. This way, they can also see your comments. 

If you need something else, don’t hesitate to ping me.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?