cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Manage list of Tag names

Manage list of Tag names

Reina T.
New member | Level 2

I would like to modify the names of some of the tags that were created by others and would also like to delete some that are not used. I do not see a way to do that anywhere. I know how to add or remove a tag from a file or folder but want to prevent having a list as mile long of tags that shared users will be creating. Also, if you misspell a tag name and want to correct it, you cannot do that adding to the issue.

Is there a way to modify the list of tag names? Is there a place where your list of tags are kept so that they can be managed ie corrected or deleted?

Thanks

10 Replies 10

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Reina T., how are you today? 

Are you referring to our web's tags? If so, keep in mind that at the moment, there isn't one place to see all the tags created, but when you search for the # with some letters, you will see that your tags populate. 

Now, if you want to remove a tag from a file, you can click the checkbox to the left of it. Then you'll see that tags for that file will appear under the file preview in the right sidebar.

If you click the X to the right of the tag you would like to remove, that should do it. 

I hope that helps! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ConnieHanks
Helpful | Level 5

I have the same issue and would love a way to edit or remove tags after they're created so they don't keep populating. I haven't found a way to do so yet, but hopefully this can be addressed by the development team? Seems it should be a relatively simple fix? {says the creative-type but non-developer} 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ConnieHanks, happy Monday! 

Have you tried the steps I provided above, for Reina as to how you can remove tags? 

If so, did you have any trouble doing so? 

Let me know! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

ConnieHanks
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks for checking in - yes, I've already done what you suggested, and although it removes the tag from that individual file, it doesn't remove it from the list of tags that auto-populate when filling in tags for the next file. Through weeks of tagging, I've changed the tags to better flow and group by category, but the old tag names are still popping up as options. I would like those gone as options. It would be great to manage (edit, delete) tags from the master list, not just from individual files. Does that make sense? 

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ConnieHanks, thank you for clarifying! 

And yes, that makes total sense. I would suggest two things. You can either clear your browser's cache, to see if that's going to work and remove the old tags. 

You can also share everything that you have in mind as a feature request on our "Share an idea" board, in order for others to see and also up-vote it. 

If you have a moment, feel free to do so. Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

chicsystems
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Megan, I second the request from OP.

I woud assume that in the backend, you have a list or a database of tags being added to these folders. It doesn't make sense to clear the cache to see if it removes the old tags as the tags are embedded to the file and it is cloud-based. I run a collaborative dropbox workspace and we are also facing this issue. We want to tag some files with the word #instagram, but some people have accidentally added #insgtram which is wrong.

Some people in our organization doesn't notice that they've tagged the wrong label which is annoying. This seems very time-consuming if there's a lot of files going in the folders. The tracking just gets too time-consuming.

I've also filed a few requests for this but I think this should be native. Please let us delete the tags that are mispelled and perhaps lock permission from other users about adding tags. They should just be able to select tags and not create since we are heavy users of this and does not want to mess up our system and file organization.

Is there any timeline also about being able to display and manage the tags in one section or what?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @chicsystems, happy Monday! 

At the moment, we don't have a specific date or idea as to when and if this will be rolled out. However, your feedback regarding this has been very valuable and I will endeavor to make sure your voice is heard.

I will pass on your comments to the relevant departments so that we can further improve our product. 

Thanks a bunch!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

bardgradcenter
Helpful | Level 5

I would like to see a list of all tags I have created.  Is there one place where I can click to see them all?  Thank you.

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @bardgradcenter, thanks for joining the discussion here.

I'm afraid there's no such option at this time. Your query kind of echoes this idea, so please feel free to have a look there and upvote it as well.

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?