cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Remove Link to Local Downloads - Mac

Remove Link to Local Downloads - Mac

Joet123
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I installed dropbox on my Mac,

I tried to stop it from taking over from iCloud but i mistakenly gave it permissions to sync my downloads folder.  Now it is asking me to upgrade (my dl folder is large).  I only need to use dropbox for a few documents so don't want to upgrade.

Joet123_0-1621237582580.png

I have signed out and uninstalled locally but i can't get rid of teh link in my account, see below.  Any help would be greatly appreciated here! 

Thanks, 

Joe 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Joet123, thanks for your post and happy Monday!

It looks like you have enabled the computer backup feature on your Dropbox application. 

To disable this, you'll need to reinstall Dropbox, sign back in to your account and then follow the steps here.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @Joet123, thanks for your post and happy Monday!

It looks like you have enabled the computer backup feature on your Dropbox application. 

To disable this, you'll need to reinstall Dropbox, sign back in to your account and then follow the steps here.

Let me know if you need anything else!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Joet123
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for the info 

pszorro
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have the same issue and the answer given didn't work. I previously paused Dropbox sync because I knew I'd run out of room on the free account. I downloaded Dropbox again and reinstalled and DB still wants to sync and I can't stop it. PLEASE HELP! I don't want all my files on Dropbox!!! Thanks!

pszorro
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi: I am a new dropbox user and after downloading the software app I mistakenly started syncing all files in my "Documents" folder. Now in Finder is see that dropbox has begun syncing my files in my "Documents" folder.  Now I cannot see them in my computer. I have the Basic dropbox storage. I do NOT want all my files in dropbox. I cannot find a way to stop the syncing process. I can no longer see in my computer all those files that the syncing process is still trying to work on as they appear in my Documents folder as "my files in dropbox". Basically all those files have been sort of "held hostage" by the syncing process and I am afraid I will lose them in cyberspace or something if I do something wrong. Can someone please provide instructions on how to stop the initial syncing process (which hasn't completed the initial backup to dropbox) and put back all my files into my "Documents" folder as they were originally before I downloaded dropbox? Appreciate your help!

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi @pszorro, thanks for posting today! 

Have you tried disabling the Computer Backup feature, using the steps shown here

Let me know!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

pszorro
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Lori, Thanks for the quick response! I turned off backup per the instructions in link you referred to. The reply I get is "Syncing is paused". So I have 2 questions: 1) Is backup really off? (doesn't appear to be. Remember, I don't want DB to backup files.) 2) In Finder, all the files that use to show up in my Documents folder are now in a folder named "My Files in Dropbox". (See screenshot) I want those files to appear on my mac and not in DB. How can I get the files that were transferred to DB back on my mac?????

Thanks!     ....PaulScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 5.29.34 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-07-14 at 5.36.20 PM.png

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @pszorro, thanks for writing back! 

Can I ask for a screenshot of what you see when you open your app's Preferences, under Backup?

That way, I'll be able to check if the feature is indeed off. 

When disabling the feature, you should then be able to see two options: 

"Keep content in folders on this Mac/PC," then your files and folders will be available in their respective locations on your Mac.

"Leave content in Dropbox," your files will remain in your Dropbox account. 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

pszorro
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Lori, I'm enclosing 3 screenshots from my preferences on DB under "backups-->manage backups". First one is with "Documents" unselected by me. (It shows Documents selected when I enter this page)

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 DocumentsNotSelected.pngT

The second one is of me selecting files to be on my mac.

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 SelectingFilesOnMac.png

The Last shot is showing what happens next after selecting "Stop Backup". It shows that sync has been paused. It has not been STOPPED! That is my problem! I can't get DB to STOP syncing!!!! 

Screen Shot 2021-07-16 SyncingPaused.png Why can't I STOP DB from syncing????  

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thank you for all the detailed screenshots @pszorro!

I would like you to locate your Dropbox icon (on your task bar, next to your WiFi) and click there. 

Hover over Syncing paused in the white bar at the bottom of the window that appears. Click Resume syncing.

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?