cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Shared Link / "scl" to "s"

Shared Link / "scl" to "s"

Pysio13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hello. My question concerns my recent issue with file sharing. Usually, my links were generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/s/'. However, lately, every file is being generated in this way: 'https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/'. Do you know a way to restore the old way of generating links? I just need old way of links, because game can't read new links

Greet 😛

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

JasonSilverDBX
Dropbox Product Manager
Go to solution
Thank you @BenDBX  for splitting off a new thread specific to the 3rd party integrations issue, and especially for doing it in a way that migrates all the relevant posts to date!  To properly wrap up this thread, below is a summary.

Why the new "/scl" link format?

Dropbox is moving to an updated shared link architecture where links are based on the content being shared rather than on the user doing the sharing.  This new content-based link architecture is already in place for edit access links to folders and newly created links to files, and can be identified by the presence of an ‘rlkey’ parameter in the URL.  (They also begin with "/scl" instead of the previous architecture's  "/s".)  It is the rlkey parameter which grants access to the content.  That is why removing that parameter results in visitors having to sign in and request access.  I talk more about this transition in this forum thread.

Over the next few months, we’ll round out the shared link portfolio by bringing this new architecture to newly created view-only access folder links, or view folder links for short.

Direct Download on new link architecture is Solved

Regarding this thread on “direct / forced” download not working on new links, this should be solved since a fix was implemented 2 weeks ago.  That is, all new links should now function the same as legacy links for these purposes.  This can be accomplished in two ways.  
  1. modifying the dl parameter in the URL
  2. modifying using dl.dropbox.com or dl.dropboxusercontent.com.  

👉 In both cases you must retain the rlkey parameter for the URL to grant your recipients permission rights to access your file.

What is the DL parameter?

Anything following the ? in a URL are query parameters.  It’s worth reemphasizing that dl parameter in new links did not break and will continue to function identically to those in legacy links.  Manually changing the dl parameter does the following:

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/<token>/path.jpg?rlkey=<token>&dl=0

• Default link. This will render the content in the Dropbox file viewer.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/<token>/path.jpg?rlkey=<token>&dl=1

• Downloads the content of the link (if the user has access to the content based on link settings). This query parameter takes precedence even if raw=1 is also added.

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/<token>/path.jpg?rlkey=<token>&raw=1

• Directly renders the content in the browser (if the link has a public audience and no other restrictions). Note that this link has an HTTP 302 redirect, so the application or browser must be able to follow the redirect.

What are the dl.dropbox... modifications?

These are link transformations from the early days of Dropbox.  While we don't "officially" list these anymore in our Help Center, we are continuing to support them for now.  

https://dl.dropbox.com/scl/fi/<token>/path.jpg?rlkey=<token>&dl=0
  • Replacing www with dl works exactly like a ?raw=1 link: this will directly render content for public links in the browser. It requires following an HTTP 302 redirect.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/scl/fi/<token>/path.jpg?rlkey=<token>&dl=0
  • Works like a ?raw=1 link, but the application or browser will not need to follow an HTTP 302 redirect to access the content.

View solution in original post

210 Replies 210

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Pysio13, thanks for contacting us.

What filetypes are you trying to create shared links for on the web, and are these folders as well?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Pysio13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi. I trying to share links for file .mp3, .png and .obj. And no, i no shared any folder

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are the files located in a subfolder, or the root folder of your Dropbox account? 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Pysio13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Im trying share files are located in subfolders and in rootfolder. Well... on subfolders and rootfolder dont work

bleach hawk
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having the same issue. New png files in a subfolder always generate /scl/fi links instead of /s

Turville Wines
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've been creating direct download links via drop box for years but for some reason since 1st June 2023 the links have been behaving differently.

Previously the view only share link would display with the ending dl=0. I'd change it to dl=1 and that's my direct download link.

Since the 1st June the view only share link appears with the ending dl=0&rlkey=randomkey

when I remove everything from the 0 onwards (0&rlkey=randomkey) and replace it with a 1 the direct download works on Chrome (I'm logged into dropbox via chrome) but it doesn't work on any other browser.

Has there been a setting change by dropbox? Is this a user error?

Help

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Turville Wines, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

If you open the shared link with just dl=0, does it open normally on the site?

How are you copying the link, via the site, the desktop application, or the mobile app?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Turville Wines
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, if I open with dl=0 then it opens in dropbox and asks me to sign in or request access.

If I open with dl=0&rlkey=randomkey it opens in dropbox and asks me to sign in or request access.

If I open it with dl=1 it does the same.

I'm copying the link via the site.

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If you created a normal shared link, then there shouldn't be a login request, since the links should be visible to anyone with the URL. Is this a view-only shared link?

Are you part of a Dropbox Business team, which could've changed the permissions on shared links?

Could you clarify exactly how you created the link, and which steps you follow?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    musicrails New member | Level 2
    JasonSilverDBX Dropbox Product Manager
    Abid Hasan New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?