cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sharing a Link & Edit Syncing

Sharing a Link & Edit Syncing

JChristine
Helpful | Level 6

I have been working on a power point document saved to my dropbox - when I click the "copy path" link and share - no one can open because it's picking up my C drive.  I'm also concerned that changes aren't accurately being tracked - it's impossible to work out of the browser and have access to all of the same features and functionality.  Is the only way to share a file link is to pull directly from my dropbox in the browser?  This is beyond frustrating and becoming dangerous respective to syncing.  Please help - I'm very close to shutting down my DB account after over 10 years of paying for it - but these are becoming HUGE issues for me.  My thanks in advance. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JChristine, sorry to jump in.

To create and share a link with edit permissions through Dropbox, you'll need to follow these steps.

Can you try and let me know if it worked?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey there @JChristine - sorry to hear you're having issues with this.

Could you let me know the exact steps you take to do this and send us a screenshot of the exact error your shared link is giving as well?

This will help us assist further. 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

JChristine
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for the quick reply.  Please see the attached - I'm grabbing the link from "Copy path" not copy local path.  I've sent it to 2 people using this method and neither could open as it was attached to my C Drive.  I had to go to the drop box browser (as I've done for the attached link) - find the document and grab the link from there.  But this triggers the other concern - We're all working on this document together - so I'm worried that changes aren't being captured. I know I have lost changes if a crash occurs - even though it should be syncing.  https://www.dropbox.com/home/MWiley# My thanks for the help - I'm hoping something isn't syncing correctly. 

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @JChristine, sorry to jump in.

To create and share a link with edit permissions through Dropbox, you'll need to follow these steps.

Can you try and let me know if it worked?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JChristine
Helpful | Level 6

The process outlined is what I used after trying to grab the link directly from the document - "copy path" - I'm not sure what the purpose of this sharing option is? but you've answered my question - to share a dropbox document I must go to Dropbox within my browser.  Disappointing this feature doesn't work more like the other shared drives that allow you to share from the document and be able to see who's editing the document while opened on your desktop.  My thanks again.  The issue is resolved. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

JChristine Helpful | Level 6
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Walter Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?