cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Timestamp on uploaded content not showing the time the actual file was created.

Timestamp on uploaded content not showing the time the actual file was created.

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

Hello ---- I add some photo from my phone (via windows) to my db folder ---- It  turns out that the date/time of the files were not of the time the  photos were taken  but when I download them from my phone ---   I  manualy use the  windows file  explorer to correct the date / time, but it seems that that info was not sent to dropbox.com (cloud) so it seems that  files are sent to the cloud only if the content change, and since changing the file timestamp  the file was not upload with the new meta-data --- so is this how dropbox works?  Thanks 

6 Replies 6

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Frank P E., let's look right into this!

Feel free to have a look into an older thread right here

Also, do you connect your mobile to your device using a cable, in order to upload the content? 

Let me know! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

no, in this case the  photos  were save to the  cloud via google photos.  Once in the cloud, I used my widows computer to download them.  google photos will  create a  zip file if you select more then 1 photo, then download the zip file.  when the zip file is unloaded to the hard drive on the  computer   the time  stamp of the  jpg files is not when they were taken, but  the  time the zip file was created.  but since the  file name of the photos  is the date and time when it was taken, I was able use that info to change the timestamp of the files --- in Linux  / Unix it the touch  command.   The issue  is onece the file is "touched"    it seem that the dropbox windows app is not  senting that info to the cloud -- my  guess is that since the file content did not change  there was no need to "move" any data  --- btw,  on windows (NTFS)  file timestamps are  stored in  GMT  in units of 100 nanseconds from 1601 

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Frank P E., can you clarify if you're using the desktop app to sync those changes back to Dropbox or if you're doing it via the website only? 

Also, when you say that the photos were saved to the cloud via google photos, can you please elaborate a bit as it's not quite clear? 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

I am using my win 10 desktop ---  db  clent is installed 

I use chrome browser to open google photos,  selected a few  files (jpg's) and download the zip file created by google photos 

I then created a  (sub) folder in the  dropbox  folder 

I unziped the photo file from the zip file into the  just created folder 

fixed the dates of the  jpg file in the folder on the windows computer --- no data was changed  -- the the meta data  of file 

I then when to dropbox.com and looked at the noted files, and  updated timestamp were not on the files at dropbox.com

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Frank P E. wrote:

... it seems that  files are sent to the cloud only if the content change, and since changing the file timestamp  the file was not upload with the new meta-data --- so is this how dropbox works?  Thanks 

Hi @Frank P E.,

I 'll add "when content uploaded/created" to "only if the content change". In this context, Yes, You are right. That's how Dropbox works (and not only the application). 🤷 Changing any metadata without even a piece of content or name change is impossible.

As a workaround move the files you're talking about for a moment out of Dropbox folder get them back immediately or rename for a moment. 😉 What gets up? In future do change all metadata you want outside Dropbox folder and once everything gets complete move the content into the Dropbox folder.

Hope this helps.

Frank P E.
Helpful | Level 7

yes,  after is issue --- "touching"   meta-data in a work folder and then moving it in to dropbox folder --- thanks 

Need more support?