cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Upgrade required for access to shared folder

Upgrade required for access to shared folder

Rich O.
New member | Level 1

Hello, I apologize for being a DropBox rookie.  Someone sent me an invite to a shared folder but DropBox says I have no space and I need to upgrade to be able to accept the invite.  I don't use DropBox for my own storage and only use it when someone sends me a file to download.  As far as I know, when I download a file it only goes to my computer, not taking up drop box space, is that right?

When I go to "Files" from the left menu it shows me a shared folder that someone else has shared with me and it has a lot of large files in it.  I am not the owner of the folder so I can't delete anything but is this shared folder the reason I have no space to accept another shared folder invite? 

I don't want to store anything from the most recent shared folder, only download it to my computer.

What do I need to do?  Thanks

4 Replies 4

Rich O.
New member | Level 1

As a follow up, it looks like I can delete the files it shows in the shared folder that I currently have access to, but if I do that, am I deleting them from the DropBox of the owner of the files since it's his shared folder?

Kenneth_l
Collaborator | Level 8

Hello, Rich.

Welcome to the community. I'm a Dropbox (DB) newbie too. 

I guess the most important thing right now is to very politely advise you not to delete anything from that shared folder. In theory you could be deleting things from that folder as Basic accounts allow all members of a shared folder to edit contents in it. While DB Pro provides more options I don't know what kind of DB account this other person has.

So I humbly suggest not deleting anything just to be cautious and giving that sharing person some courtesy. Just in case.

After deciding not to delete anything, if you know who the person sharing the folder is you may ask them to send you a share link to that folder instead. That has different rules to play by and shouldn't require you to have a larger storage account just to download files from that folder. 

Mark
Super User II

As far as I know, when I download a file it only goes to my computer, not taking up drop box space, is that right?

No, thats not right I'm afraid. 

Shared folder = in your Dropbox = uses your quota. 

If you JUST need download access reject the share and ask the person to send you a shared link (www.dropbox.com/help/167)

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Pat H.5
New member | Level 2

I have been using DropBox for several years and the recent changes,  which seem to be happening since the marketing for business pro, are confounding me.

1- I cannot easily share documents with others as I could earlier. The system seems to have changed.

2-When I share Dropbox materials with someone new, I don't see an increase in free data space. Possibly they are already a DropBox user, possibly the difficulty of using DropBox now has caused me to just email the documents

3-Why does the dropbox page look so much like a google page?

4-When I click on Business fro Dropbox there is no indication of cost until I am pretty far into the research.

5-Since so many of our volunteers in this all-volunteer group have difficulty with Drop Box, I am seriously considering dropping, drop box

Need more support?