cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

jpg files that I'm being told are corrupted. I don't think so as these are all on a new hard drive

jpg files that I'm being told are corrupted. I don't think so as these are all on a new hard drive

steve s.36
Explorer | Level 4

I see that there are other people with the same problem.  FYI, I have malwarebytes and Avast security software on my computer and there are no issues being found.  Here's a description of what is happening.

I have the same problem.   most if not all of my jpg photos on dropbox on my pc will not open.  They have an x on each of them and when I try to open any of them, I'm told either it's an unsupported type of file, (which it's not) or my hard drive is corrupted, which I doubt very much.  If I go to my dropbox.com account in the cloud, all the photos are ok.  I can probably download them all but I was hoping there would be an easier solution as that would take many hours to do.

Thank you to anyone that can help.

3 Replies 3

Mark
Super User II

Are you using Smart Sync and so they are not local on your machine? If so to view them you have to download them locally.

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

steve s.36
Explorer | Level 4

Hi and thank you very much for your reply.  I have a dumb question.  how can I find out if I'm using smart sync or not.  I've looked everywhere on dropbox.com and my account and I don't see anything.  Also, I just noticed tonight that all of my pdf files and files using open office are also X'd out.  It sound like you are right in which case I may want to figure out how to get all the files back to my computer.   Thanks again,

Steve

steve s.36
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark. I think I just figured it out. I am using some Avast software for security purposes and a few other reasons.  Some of the software gives me the opportunity to put programs to sleep to save on ram or to increase speed.  I had put dropbox to sleep.  As soon as I requested to wake it up, all my pics etc came back to life.  That must have been the problem. Have you ever heard of that?

many thanks for your help,

Steve

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

steve s.36 Explorer | Level 4
    Mark Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?