cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing Folder Owner Via API

Changing Folder Owner Via API

craggleb
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

I have been trying to use the API explorer to work out 1) who the owner of a folder is, and 2) then change the owner of the folder.

The main issue I'm coming across is that using 'list_folder' to get the id and sharing id (if shared) is that when using either as the id on 'list_file_members' it always returns an error. Even If I have authenticated as the folder owner or the person it has been shared with.

{
  "error_summary": "access_error/is_folder/...",
  "error": {
    ".tag": "access_error",
    "access_error": {
      ".tag": "is_folder"
    }
  },
  "user_message": {
    "locale": "en_GB",
    "text": "Invalid shared file ID."
  }
}

The business case is if someone leaves - we want to transfer ownership of their folders to an admin and the make them 'read-only' for anyone they are shared with.

Any help much appreciated.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The error that you're seeing is the result of calling the 'list_folder_members' on a folder object rather than a file. 

The relevant endpoints for this use case are list_folder_members to determine the owner of a specific folder and transfer_folder to actually transfer the folder to a new owner.

Please feel free to reach out again if you need a hand!

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

TaylorKrusen
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The error that you're seeing is the result of calling the 'list_folder_members' on a folder object rather than a file. 

The relevant endpoints for this use case are list_folder_members to determine the owner of a specific folder and transfer_folder to actually transfer the folder to a new owner.

Please feel free to reach out again if you need a hand!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

TaylorKrusen Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?