cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Add option to disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer

Add option to disable icon overlays in Windows Explorer

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7

Please add an option to disable Dropbox icon overlays. It is so frustrating to remove Dropbox Shell Icon identifiers from the top of ShellIconOverlayIdentifiers list after each update! 

It is disrespectful to users to decide for them which overlays they need. 

I'm using TortoiseGit and I really need its overlays, they are useful and important for my work. Every time Dropbox updates I can no longer see status icons and have to go to Registry editor and remove newly added and USELESS Dropbox overlays.

I've seen dozens of feature requests from Dropbox users for many years but Dropbox pretends everything is fine!

UPD: 

I had patience to open a thread and communicate with Dropbox team on this issue. After almost 2 years, more than 100 upvotes they have just thrown my idea away suggesting me to edit Windows registry. I've heared your answer, that's how you treat your loyal users.

So long Dropbox!

80 Replies 80

nofish2
Helpful | Level 5

Please vote for this issue, not sure it helps at all, but it's probably the best we can do to support it.

@Walter 

What about your statement from page 1 of this issue? 🙂

It has received considerably more votes in the meantime, is it forwarded to the dev team yet?

johne53
Helpful | Level 6

For many of us here, TortoiseGit's overlays are extremely important whereas Dropbox overlays have no importance whatsoever. Unfortunately - no matter how much we complain - the Dropbox team totally refuses to believe us. Maybe it's time to abandon Dropbox?

At one time I considered using GoogleDrive but (apparently) it's getting closed down soon. So what about the alternatives? Are there any similar services which don't exhibit this problem? Microsoft's OneDrive maybe??

Mr T
Helpful | Level 5

Thanks @StopMessingWithOverlayIcons , you got my vote :sunglasses:

(despite I'm preferring to simply uninstall dropbox to get rid of this problem)

stas_2003
New member | Level 2

+1 to this. As a simultanious user of both TortoiseGit and TortoiseSVN I suffer from this issue pretty frequently. I am currently trying out a free DP account as well as other major cloud storages to decide which one I will start paying for later. And ignoring such an issue literally for years is a very sensitive disadvantage. And placing as many spaces at the beginning of your registry keys as needed to become alphabetically preceeding transforms this issue into something significantly worse.

Steve123456
New member | Level 2

I desperatly want to disable the overlay icons.  They are making my entire explorer TERRIBLY slow.  Every time I go to a new folder, they all try to refresh and it's not instant.  It's one by one slow...

StopMessingWithOverlayIcons
Helpful | Level 7

@Emma among over 1500 ideas that have at least 1 vote there are just 7 ideas with more votes than this one and status "Need more votes"

Will Santa be kind to us this year and review it with Dropbox staff? :innocent:

SteveMagruder
Helpful | Level 5

I ran into this issue with Tortoise overlays today and I joined just to upvote this.  What a nuisance.

dr43113
New member | Level 2

Agreed , and upvoted.  To get around it, I just shared the folder, then created a shortcut to the share and it works fine (at least so far).

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi all; thanks for your ongoing feedback and thoughts on this!

I just dropped by to let you know that this idea has been passed along to the team for review.

Thankyou all for your suggestions and to everyone who has supported this idea so far!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Stargx
Helpful | Level 5

Great news. Thank you!

Need more support?