cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

Nutzandvolts
New member | Level 2

Ed,

Thank you for the heads-up.

Does your team have a timeframe for an icon fix?

Flexible Busine
New member | Level 2

What POSSIBLE reason would you have (that would benefit your users) for removing the green tick? 

If there are people who would prefer not to know that everything is ok with their Dropbox then maybe add it back as an option. 

It now looks like my Dropbox is offline so I have to checking that it is ok! 

This change makes no sense whatsoever.

Please reinstate it or make it an option as soon as possible.

Thanks 

Allan G.
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you to Madpentiste on page 12 for the suggestion for Ubuntu users, I may have to give that a try. My problem in Ubuntu is that either the greying out of the icon for un-synced is not working, or else the change is so minor I can't see the difference.

I am used to the green tick, and if it ain't broke....  However there definitely needs to be a clearer distinction between synced and unsynced. I don't want to shut down a home computer thinking everything is synced and then find on the road that those important files I needed have not updated.

jamemay132
New member | Level 2

Green tick back please.

Gaelle s.
Explorer | Level 3

+1

please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark.

pevogam
New member | Level 2

I am not opposing the change and don't mind adjusting to the new behavior (people should be a bit less lazy with their habits) especially since it means to imply the normal/default state of each dropbox is fully synced. However. faded icon to imply not syncing is much harder to process visually than a little X or some other clue so at least the choice of icons for other statuses can be improved.

giantkin
Explorer | Level 4

Ed,  your post was already deleted, interesting.

maybe because you realized it was a bit condescending ?

our issue is, we cant see it as anything different. the icons look the same.

the Green tick shows clearly that it is updated.  'faded' or solid it looks the same to me.

the pause, i can hardly see, but as im manually pausing, i know what to expect....

the Round looking icon, that moves in a circle, i know its updating.

Bright Green tick, updated.

Easy Peasy. (as you said)

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

Ed... thanks for the (apparently-now-deleted) explainer, but I don't think many here now misunderstand that the icon has changed -- it is simply that we all miss the green tick.

Green tick = synced is easy-peasy (your phrase). White icon versus grey icon? Not so much.

So, I implore you to... 

#BringBackTheGreenTick

Gunars L.
Explorer | Level 4

The info page showing the new icon has a black box, but what my Win7 shows is:

db.png

What is going to be faded, the dot in the center? 

I'm surprised that DB can easily see the faded distinction of the icon, but fail to see the unanimous complaints of everyone here.

JohnMurray
Helpful | Level 6

So it seems quite clear now after reading 14 pages of comments from everyday people who use dropbox that removing the green tick was a stupid idea that nobody wants or likes.

The solution for the dropbox team is also just as clear - reinstate the green tick, immediately!

The problem is that we live in clownworld where ridiculously stupid things happen on a daily basis, so my guess is that there will be no response from the higher-ups at dropbox and they won't bring the "now famous" green tick back.

I hope I am wrong and if we didn't live in clownworld then this would never have happened in the first place but unfortunately we do.

Come on dropbox, you must be aware of this thread by now and also just as aware that your user base are less than pleased with what you have done with our green tick.

If the green tick isn't returned to the users then may I politely suggest that whomever was responsible for this decision put themselves forward for a Darwin Award.

#BringBackTheGreenTick

John

Need more support?