cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

Well, I'm regretfully cancelling my subscription -- after around a decade. This thread has existed for a couple of weeks with no obvious concern or action from Dropbox, so all that's left for me to do is to vote with my feet. It's OneDrive for me from hereon. Better value anyway, even if not quite as slick. But hey, I pay $100/year and I want my green tick! If Dropbox won't give me my green tick I might as well get an Office 365 subscription!

#BringBackTheGreenTick

LeeWamble
Helpful | Level 5

Horrible, horrible idea. Bring it back, please. 

mistabroadway
New member | Level 2

C'mon guys, this is a no brainer and never should have been changed. Please bring back the checkmark. 

rogerhorning
New member | Level 2

If you are going to get rid of the green check mark, then make the icon red when it is not connected.  It's really hard to identify the difference in the tiny icon tray.  Thanks.

gekalegoret
Explorer | Level 4

I agree with the whole bunch of pissed-off users ! Please bring back the green checkmark !  This item is a fundamental part of Dropbox, it is a sign that your DB is running well. It has been so for years.

It should not be messed with. Changing this is a false good idea. The new system is not a progress.

Thanks for considering a back track ! So far, Dropbox has been an outstanding product but this change is a huge c ock-up !

gekalegoret
Explorer | Level 4

I agree totally with wowtah's idea ! How is it possible to come-up with such a change ?

gekalegoret
Explorer | Level 4

I've just spent a lot of time reading this single topic of the forum now.
It appears that hundreds probably thousands of Dropbox users do find that this change (removing the green checkmark) is not a progress. Before, there was no ambiguity! It was possible to see, in the blink of an eye and without a doubt, the the DB was working well and was syncked. Now, it is, as a minimum, less clear, I would even say almost impossible to notice. Moreover, when you look at your DB icon today it is telling you that everything is OK by displaying the complete opposite then before! Before a plain white icon without the green checkmarck meant something was wrong... You were most likely off line!

If you make a simple comparison, this is like when arriving to a green traffic light you had to "stop" while reaching a red one would mean "pass"! It is really hard to conceive that a responsible IT developper has been able to come to such a horrible idea, could find accomplices to help him implement it and finally has deployed this monster without even warning the customers! People have been shot for less than that!

I have read in my studies that when one person actually writes in a forum topic, this means that at least 500 others agree but do not express themselve. Seeing the number of reactions here, do you have any idea of how many people are disturbed by this change ?

I read ahead that this compares to the removal of the "Start Menu" in Windows 8, this change is probably even worse! This kind of mistake had millions of users questionning there future fidelity to Microsoft? This type of decision, reflects really bad on a company like Dropbox.

For years, I personally have been telling to every one I met that Dropbox was the best app ever developped since Visicalc! One of the best thing on earth since the invention of hot water. True!

But this change makes me change my mind! That this "new feature" has been in place this long now, without any consideration for all the comments and reactions defeats my understanding? If someone doesn't like the green checkmarck make the icon plain green or plain red, if "not syncing or off line", pick something visible, I don't care what but make it outstanding, visible !

Or maybe, I got it all wrong ? You folks want us to switch to Google Drive, Onedrive or any other crummy alternative. No? If not, please come on Dropbox pull yourself together ! I want my green checkmark back or a suitable alternative. Thank-you very much in advance.

mtn_gal
Explorer | Level 3

Please bring back the green check mark.  Maybe in this new version give it an an option in settings?

I liked being able to see at a glance that all is well by seeing the green check.  Now it is just a plain solid white box.

missriaelaine
Explorer | Level 4

I found the green tick extremely useful, it was extremely annoying to find it gone. I use both Linux and Windows, both are the same. DB say the change is to bring all clients into line, how many other clients are there..? Why can't any others have the green tick added..??

This is the most stupid corporate decision I have come across in a long time, and I have worked for more than one national/multinational company.

auzhost
Helpful | Level 6

It seems that Dropbox has forgotten a basic principal of computer programs and programming.

When designing the UI it MUST be USER Friendly.

If it is not, it is FAILURE! Which also means if the Business/Company that designed it does not fix the issue/s they stand a very high chance of the Program/Business/Company being a flop.

One Example in point. Did Microsoft Learn anything from their Windows 8 Failure Startup screen? You bet they bloody did!
What they also learned was that when designing UI’s it must be what the customer also wants and expects. Not what the company decides is supposedly best for the customer.

ALL IN ALL, it means Listen to your customers, failure to do so WILL BE your downfall!

This Discussion I believe will be only a very, very small fraction of your customers that have taken the time to make their opinion heard and a very small amount of people that have any idea of how to complain or even enquire as to what has gone on.

REALLY DROPBOX, get a grip on reality. If this was to bring the design in line with other OS’s then it was the other OS’s that were also poorly designed and configured.

Need more support?