cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

daveway
New member | Level 2

So ridiculous.  Has Dropbox become a Microsoft wanna be?  "lets see, start menu that everyone has been trained to understand...nah, take it out".  Now Dropbox, "hmmm, UI checkbox that everyone now knows is a reliable means to determine if everything is in sync.... nah not needed, take it out."

C'mon, why change things that work and have been trained.  There is no legitimate need to remove the checkmark indicator.

Please put it back.

As others have mentioned, do not feed us bs that it is not possible.  Of course its possible.  MS put the start menu back, you can put a tiny little indicator back.

travis k.1
Helpful | Level 5

These idiots just updated again and now I have to hack the exe file and change the icon again haha.

Def finding an alternative when my year is up in a few months.

What service would you guys suggest I switch to?  

Maybe box.com or googledrive?

rjwb
Helpful | Level 7

Personally I'm moving to OneDrive as I'm paying for it anyway through my Office 365 subs.

No point in paying an additional $99 x 3 accounts any more.

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

Yep, I'm in the process of doing the same. As soon as all my Drobpx data is uploaded to OneDrive I will regretfuly be cancelling my $99 Dropbox subscription.

In my (admittedly limited) experience OneDrive isn't as good or as reliable as Dropbox but it *is* cheaper and does include an Office 365 sub -- so the value proposition is attractive. And if Dropbox won't listen to or act on customer complaints then what's the point of paying a premium for the company's service?

So, sayonara Dropbox. It's been a fun ride but you took away my green tick, so I'm taking away my business.

Jeff M.3
Explorer | Level 3

I was able to find the icon files for up-to-date and paused mode here:

~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86-38.4.27/images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-idle.png

~/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86-38.4.27/images/hicolor/16x16/status/dropboxstatus-logo.png

I noticed that they were identical (no overlays).

Using gimp I painted the *logo one yellow and the *idle one green, and upon restarting the change took effect in the system tray.

So now the logo is yellow when I pause sync, and green when I resume.

KK K.
Explorer | Level 4

@MatG-DK I am unable to use an older version of Dropbox. I found an offline installer here:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Client-builds-archive/Stable-Build-23-4-18/m-p/215807#M5127

I followed your instruction and was able to install it. But then a message pops up asking me either to exit dropbox or update it. This comes up again and again even if I cancel it, and it seems the files won't sync if I refuse to update. 

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7

KK K.

Maybe you have to find an offline installer elsewhere.. Filehippo etc. 

And you may look at the folders in:

C:/program files (x86)/dropbox 

There may be some files you need to delete. 

Most important is that the file "dropboxupdate.exe" is deleted!! 

Found old version that i use here: 

http://filehippo.com/download_dropbox/78005/ 

Just checked on a machine without dropbox installed. 

I downloaded the Dropbox 34.4.22 file from filehippo and installed. 

As soon as installer was finish i deactivated the 2 "dropbox-update-services" 

Then i go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox" and deleted the "DropboxUpdate.exe." 

And then i logged in to my dropbox account, and green checkmark is there. Works perfect.

DSBorge
New member | Level 2

Bring back the green checkmark, thank you in advance.

Removing the green checkmark is the worst decision ever and the one behind that should be removed from dropbox staff for ever!!!

What where you thinking?? The one and only reason i choose dropbox instead of googledrive, onedrive and other alternatives.

Bring it back asap, please!

gekalegoret
Explorer | Level 4

To all,

I'd like to receive an answer from Dropbox staff on this issue.

So, I would like to sent a message directly to customer support and not only in this forum.

Can someone guide me on how I can do that ?

Thanks for your inputs.

Georges

*** Bring back the green checkmark or a visible (obvious) alternative ! ***

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7
@KK K. Did it worked for you?
Need more support?