cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

KK K.
Explorer | Level 4

@MatG-DK Works great! Thank you!

kernnab
New member | Level 2

BRING BACK THE GREEN SYSTEM TRAY TICK!!!

GregAmy
Helpful | Level 7

Glad to see they're being customer-friendly on this issue.

Well done Dropbox!

hotarobin
Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox would like to think that users will get accustomed to this. On the contrary folks will start looking for alternatives.  People have no time fighting these silly battles.  Most will silently leave and you will lose market share...

ajw1100
Explorer | Level 4

Why change something that confuses and does not need changing? Change for no reason makes no sense to me. I liked the green tick, it showed I was up to date.

For the last few days all I have seen is:

We're updating the dropbox icon in your system tray.............................................................

The only thread relating to this is now closed and updating to 38.4.27 made no difference.

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7

Temp solution: 

Found old version that i use here: 

http://filehippo.com/download_dropbox/78005/ 

Just checked on a machine without dropbox installed. 

I downloaded the Dropbox 34.4.22 file from filehippo and installed. 

As soon as installer was finish i deactivated the 2 "dropbox-update-services"

(under administration-services) 

Then i go to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox" and deleted the "DropboxUpdate.exe." 

And then i logged in to my dropbox account, and green checkmark is there. Works perfect.

MatG-DK
Helpful | Level 7

Well, dropfocks forced me to update if i would access my files within 27 days.

Funny they are using nazi methods to get everyone to use the crappy new version with no green checkmark in system tray and the ugly looking icons.

If i would recommend dropfocks to anyone?? No way.. Welcome Microsoft Onedrive

Adam-P
Dropbox Staff
Hi all,

Thank you for all your thoughts and feedback. We’ve read your comments and would like to share a bit more about our decision so you can understand it a little bit better.

Context

As part of our rebrand, we redesigned the tray icons to use the new Dropbox glyph. We decided to use the opportunity to create more consistency across Windows and Mac by removing the green check from the Windows taskbar icon when your Dropbox is connected and synced.

Cross-platform consistency is important because some of our customers need to work in both platforms. For example, many people use a Windows machine at work and a Mac at home, and it’s helpful to provide a consistent visual system to indicate the status of their Dropbox.

So, if we wanted consistency, why remove the green check from Windows instead of add a green check on Mac?

A few years ago, we made this exact same change on Mac, which also used to have a green check.

We knew that as we moved towards a world with Smart Sync, the green check would no longer signify that content was in sync, but rather that it was local. So it’s actually not accurate anymore to put a green check on on your Dropbox because some of the content could be online only.

Therefore, we wanted the Dropbox glyph by itself to signify that everything is working, and so we removed the green check on Mac.

We hope this clarifies things and while we may not respond all times, we do welcome your feedback.

On behalf of the design team,
Adam 

stevelerner
Explorer | Level 4

Hi Adam,

Thanks for the helpful response.  As you might imagine given the popularity of this posting, there are many of your customers who are unhappy with this change.  This is not surprising since, in real sense, there has been a removal of functional information in the Windows environment.  Something that imparted information is no longer available.  In fact, if you take as a given that you’ll never actually know if your data is synched to the local machine because SmartSync makes it difficult to tell, that means Windows users have no hope of ever actually knowing their data is 100% synched to their LOCAL machine.  That’s a non-starter for some of us who go places with no WiFi and who can’t get access to the cloud… so, I expect you will lose customers to Google Drive and others.  Please note that I’m a $750 per year business account with the id: WHDG LLC.

Many thanks,

Steve Lerner

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Adam,

I appreciate that explanation, even if I disagree fundamentally with the end result.

This is a UI mistake and one that I will not live with, which is why I am cancelling my Dropbox account at the end of my subscription.

I suspect the correct solution -- given your explanation -- is to default to your preferred flat icon but to allow the green tick as an option for those of us sane enough to still appreciate the benefits of colour as a feedback mechanism.

Thanks.

Scott.

Need more support?