cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray. Dropbox now looks offline all the ti

Bring back the green 'synced' checkmark in the system tray.

wowtah
Helpful | Level 6

In my Windows system tray (next to the clock), Dropbox used to show that it was fully synced by showing a green check-mark over the Dropbox icon. This was really helpfull. 

If Dropbox was offline, it would show no overlay icon. 

Recently (and according to Dropbox itsself) this has changed, the Dropbox icon now shows no overlay if it is fully synced, but to me, i constantly think my Dropbox is offline, instead of 'fully synced'.

So the idea is: please bring back the green 'fully synced' checkmark. Or -at least- make it an option to show it. 

Please upvote this idea if you agree :white_check_mark:

334 Replies 334

mrsmartypants
Explorer | Level 4
Bring back the green checkmark fercrissakes. Why'd you change it, fercrissakes? Thanks a lot fercrissakes.

GregAmy
Helpful | Level 7

IPO is done (congrats) back to the reality of making customers happy.

Current icon still stucks.

HawkRAO
Helpful | Level 5

Just got an email requesting feedback for Dropbox Market Research (assuming it is not phishing).  It says it takes 7-9 minutes to fill out a survey.  As the requests from many users for at least having the option of the green tick as confirmation of sync has been ignored, why would I bother filling out this survey ? That would be a waste of time.

Still have to think for moment what the state of the icon means.  The green tick was obvious. I thought clarity of meaning of icons was the gold standard of GUI design. Apparently not in DropBox world...

wt7223
Explorer | Level 4

HawkRAO, please do reply to the survey.  This is a good sign.  Maybe they are going to start listening to users. You might hlelp all of us. 

millerjb
Explorer | Level 4

Doubt it at this point. I've been comparing some of the alternatives (e.g. Google Drive, Box, Microsoft OneDrive, etc.). If/when I end up switching I'll post about my experience here.

HawkRAO
Helpful | Level 5

Hi wt7223 - The only beef I have with Dropbox is the green tick removal.  As such they already have had heaps of feedback on that subject through this forum. To my logic it is a waste of time duplicating that in a survey - which will be ignored anyway.  Realistically, I think there have been ~ 300 users annoyed enough to write something here, but out of how many Dropbox users (500 million)?  I hazard a guess Dropbox can survive even if all of the annoyed users go somewhere else - I am sure they have already done that calculation.

Hi millerjb - I would be interested to know about your assessment of alternatives.  This would help me decide to 'vote with my feet' or not - being careful not to cut off my nose to spite my face.

jellocube
Helpful | Level 5

Agree -- a stylish and cleaner icon is not always better. I didn't realize it was taken away, to be honest, I've just thought my Dropbox was having a sync error for the past week. For those of us relying on Dropbox all day long, the indicator is highly functional and very useful.

m_dantoni
New member | Level 2

Love the green ticks. They're not appearing on my new Mac, so I guess I'll have to troubleshoot why.

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

So... I thought I'd just return here to say my final goodbye. I said six months ago that unless Dropbox restored the green tick I'd be off and, well -- that time has come.

My account renewal is due in a couple of days but I'm not going to let that happen. I'm currently in the process of uploading something like 80GB of stuff to OneDrive. Sure, it's a slog, and sure, OneDrive doesn't have a green tick either, but I will get 1TB of storage and a copy of Office 365 for less than I pay for Dropbox.

I wanted my green tick back, and you didn't give it to me -- so you lose my $99/year.

So, while it is with a heavy heart, this is it: Dropbox, after something like 10 years, I'm off. It was fun while it lasted and you've always been great. But you removed my green tick without asking, so I'm removing you. I thoroughly recommed everyone else in this thread do the same. OneDrive really is much the same, plus you get Office 365 thrown in.

Tara!

Scott C.67
Helpful | Level 5

So... I really did ditch Dropbox and turn to OneDrive. It's mostly okay, but not without its quirks. Undoubtedly, I'd preferred to have stuck to Dropbox.

But get this: today, a week or so after I finally ditched Dropbox, the company emailed me saying that they'd love to have me back, and offering me a 10% discount to return.

No surprise there, I suppose. But get this x 2: I realise that -- even for OneDrive's various annoyances -- I don't currently wish to return to Dropbox. OneDrive is cheaper, and includes Office 365.

What would make me return to Dropbox? Not a 10% discount. Not a 25% discount, or even a 50% discount. But my green tick -- that would swing it. So, Dropbox management, bring back the green tick, and I'll come back. It's really that simple.

Need more support?