cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Desktop App Severely Affecting System Performance

Desktop App Severely Affecting System Performance

SunnyNonsense
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I love Dropbox. I can't say I've messed around with a bunch of different cloud storage services, but Dropbox has been more or less great for me for years. However, recently the desktop application has been making certain aspects of my computer unusably slow. I say "certain aspects" because really it's not the whole thing. To be honest, the only thing I've notied is right clicking. It sounds silly, but this really does make your computer frustratingly slow when you're trying to work with files in Windows Explorer. I can navigate Windows Explorer with no lag, but when I right click anywhere (including my Desktop) there is a 10+ second delay to bring up the list of commands.

This problem only occurs when the app is indexing files. When it is fully synced and not indexing, everything seems to return to normal. I've also had what I've seen to be a somewhat common problem where indexing hangs up. But the right click delay is still there even when it is successfully indexing as well.

Is there a solution to this problem? I know there are options to limit bandwidth by the app, but I see nothing for controlling the indexing function. Thanks for your help.

18 Replies 18

LRWV
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

And they marked the issue Solved. I don't think so.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey everyone, apologies for missing your replies and thank you for nudging me back. 

If you're still having issues with your computer experiencing an overall slow-down, could you have a look at this article and let me know if any of the suggestions mentioned there apply to you? 

Let me know what you find, thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

meguia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

This is really not a fix.

Can someone explain what the heck is going on??? I am having the same issue. Whenever I try to access files through the Dropbox Windows Client using the File Explorer, it will literally take 30 seconds every time I try to open a folder or a file.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @meguia, thanks for nudging us on this thread. 

I'd be more than happy to look into this with you if you'd like. 

If you've already had a look at the article I mention above, could you let me know what you see when you hover over the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock? 

Looking forward to hearing back from you!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

meguia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I did - and while on live chat with Pierce from Dropbox we had checked CPU usage and that was not a factor. After trying everything the first layer of help from Dropbox provided, including links like these...

1) I deleted dropbox, rebooted and re-installed.

2) I deleted onedrive, and checked to see how Dropbox was behaving. It was now behaving fine.

3) I rebooted and re-installed onedrive.

All programs seem to be running fine.

This issue was previously fixed by deleting folders from Registration Entries. From reading other threads, including this one, Dropbox knows it has a Registration Entries problem with Windows. Please fix that, because it will keep happening in the future. Unless that bug is actually Microsoft trying to kill dropbox because their OneDrive program sucks. I can't help you there.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for letting me know, and great work with the troubleshooting!

Since you're investigating this with a member of our team, I'd recommend continuing with them, as they'd be able to have a better look into this for you, using out internal tools. 

I've made sure pass your comments along to them, so as soon as they have additional information on the matter, they'll get back to you via email. 

In the meantime, could you also check if you have any pending updates on your computer's OS? 

Thanks again! 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

meguia
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I dont. Both Office, Windows 10 Pro, and Dropbox were up to date. I'm not 100% on OneDrive but I don't thik that it wouldnt be because everything is set to update automatically.

Duckysaurus
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I'm not sure what's going on, but DropBox this past year has been ridiculously slow.

And this is with an upgraded computer (3900x, 64GB DDR4 RAM, Phison 16 PCiE NVMe SSDs with crazy fast write/read speeds and Fios up/download speeds). And yes, I checked all my settings and re-downloaded the application.

When I use the application on my desktop, DropBox is just VERY SLOW when browsing and accessing files (compared to 2017-2018 DropBox on my OLDER computer!). I can't open them in a Windows explorer window or Mac folder window as I previously could in 2018-early2019. Please somehow get us back to that previous version of DropBox. We want that easy drag-and-drop-into-folder-window DropBox that we liked so much before we subscribed to it.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Duckysaurus, can you let me know if you've taken a look at this article that Lusil mentioned earlier in this thread?

Also, could you let me know which version of the app you have installed at the moment? You'll see the version number when hovering over the Dropbox icon in your menu bar/system tray.

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Duckysaurus New member | Level 2
    meguia New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?