cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox Capture without sound?

Dropbox Capture without sound?

HVS
Helpful | Level 5

I tried several times to record a Video from the Internet (Google Chrome) with Dropbox Capture, and the result was always the same: Good image but NO SOUND.

I don't see the purpose in having a Video recording App that does not record and reproduce any sound from the origin. Does Dropbox think that the user is interested in recording "mute" Videos?...

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II

@HVS wrote:

I don't see the purpose in having a Video recording App that does not record and reproduce any sound from the origin. Does Dropbox think that the user is interested in recording "mute" Videos?...

Most similar utilities only capture the screen, and not the audio. I use two other capture utilities (one personal, one for work) and neither of them capture audio. These types of utilities are simply not meant for that. Where Dropbox goes beyond the typical screen capture utility is in its ability to also capture your camera an microphone, so it does capture sound, but not for the items shown on your screen.

HVS
Helpful | Level 5

I am sorry to contradict you, but I entirely disagree with you:

Firstly, what you say "Most similar utilities only capture the screen, and not the audio", is not applicable: if they only make screenshots, they are not similar, since Dropbox Capture proclaims that it captures also video.

Secondly, you didn't say which two utilities you use that don't capture sound, whilst I can refer to a lot of Apps that capture with sound, be it from the source or from the personal microphone.

Again: I can not foresee why someone may be satisfied with capturing only a motion image from a video and no sound; perhaps in that case it may be useful to add also a program with a sign language for the deaf. (without any disrespect for the deaf, of course).

Janis_B
Explorer | Level 4

Hi, I agree, Dropbox capture has a limited use without recording a system sound. So hopefully they will manage to add this functionality in the future

RonSeybold
New member | Level 2

Yeah, this little app looks like a good match for narrating how to do something on a computer. Not to record a screen video including audio. Screenflow is the way to go for that task on the Mac. Nice try, Dropbox. Plus the Screenflow clips are native to your system and editable.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

RonSeybold New member | Level 2
    Janis_B Explorer | Level 4
    HVS Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?