cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox Desktop App crashing on Windows 8

Dropbox Desktop App crashing on Windows 8

Josh M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I have several users who are noticing that their Dropbox App completely crashes on Windows 8 and they are off line. We have tried to restart the app and nothing happens. Only solution is to reinstall dropbox on top of itself. I have performed this several times, but today I had a user that required this step again (3 hours after the first reinstall) we have several hundred gigs of data on each users machine, so wiping and reinstalling is a last stop for us.

Any suggestions to what is causing this?

33 Replies 33

Paul U.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

windows 8.1. pro on Lenovo Pro Yoga 3 -> 3rd reinstall, wait for hours for sync, then after a few days, app stops operating. DB 3.4.6. No errors in event viewer, no messages. Open task viewer, then manually launch app, shows for 2 seconds in task viewer then disappears. Becoming mission critical that software we rely on is not operating or stable!?

Evans V.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The same issue is happening with me. my dropbox keeps crashing, in the Even Viewer I see Event ID 1000 and it's saying Faulty Application poitning to the dropbox.exe

Ed F.5
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Has there been a fix for this yet? Seems like a common problem.

Charles S.21
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm also having this problem...

Typically, I notice that my files aren't up-to-date and that dropbox isn't running (although I never closed it). When I restart dropbox, it says 'starting' for some time...maybe five minutes or so and then the icon just disappears. No crash notice, just quits silently.

Running 3.6.7

Mike R.48
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Also is a problem for me on v3.8.5, with the dropbox silently crashing, no error messages.

Ritu V.
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mike R. we checked your error logs and it looks like Dropbox on your machine might be running into a bug that was fixed in later builds - can you try the newer build at https://www.dropboxforum.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/203362409-Experimental-Build-3-9-31 and let us know if that works for you?

Mike R.48
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi Ritu,

About a half hour without crashes so far, looks like the experimental build works, thanks!

marius s.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

for me it works. still running after one hour.

previuosly dropbox silently crashing with no error messages after few minutes

🙂

John L.2
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi Mike and Marius,

Did the crashing only start after updating to version 3.8.5?

--John

marius s.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi all

No. I tried to solve it upgrading at 3.8.5 but it didn't work.

Sorry, I don't remember the other but for sure it was previous to 3.8.x (maybe 3.6.?)

I started to have problems one week ago (more or less), maybe windows updates?

marius

p.s.

(dropbox service still alive, syncronising)

Need more support?