cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox MacOS extension supporting > Monterey?

Dropbox MacOS extension supporting > Monterey?

GregHutchings
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi.  I've just upgraded my Mac to MacOS Monterey and received the warning below.  Apple recommends that I contact Dropbox about this, and though I am a paying customer, the only support mechanism that I can see is a relatively naïve Chatbot that could not parse my questions.  Hopefully the community (and Dropbox staff who monitor it) will be able to reply. 

Does Dropbox offer or plan to offer an updated extension for MacOS?  Apple indicates the current one I have will become obsolete... 

Thanks!

oh my god, will my data be inaccessible or lost?oh my god, will my data be inaccessible or lost?

49 Replies 49

janellekutz
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Came here for this. 

lorebett
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

That's related to this: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/macos-12-monterey-support

Basically, you won't be able to open online-only files in third-party apps unless they’re specifically made available offline.

Pablo C.7
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Same here,

If Beta has risks and Apple is not helping, will dropbox become a web/browser file sharing app in Mac OS? Gmail drive would offer the same, no?

Thoughts?

Pablo

drronmccoy
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

HI there,

I have already done that and still get this warning.

I'm not having any problems accessing my files though.

Thanks,

Ronald

bill-1234
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

If there were no risk, it would not be "beta".

To say that "If there was a risk of some sort I would not recommend these steps." is wrong.

FogCityNative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Early Access?

It isn't even a beta, it is a request to be considered for early access to a maybe someday beta that you cannot get right now.

I use PathFinder as my Finder substitute and enhancement. Because in general on the Mac, Apple makes good OS systems and very mediocre application software. I cannot stand Finder. It's has not be significantly improved since it was released with the first Mac in 1984.

Now that I stupidly updated to Monterey, all my Dropbox files show as 0 bytes. I sure hope if I deleted any on the Mac believing there was something wrong, I wasn't deleting them on Dropbox, and they'll reappear on the next sync.

But I cannot launch or use or view any Dropbox file that is online only. I must access them from the Dropbox web page, and download them. They are not usable from the Dropbox App on my Mac.

I think Dropbox has a lot of chutzpah, charging me full price for a crippled app. It isn't as if Dropbox didn't have access to Monterey beta software and developers notes for a year before it was released.

Why do Dropbox users need to wait for some future update to Monterey before this gets fixed?

I realize Apple is constantly shuffling the deck and changing the basic underpinnings of how their software works, usually with zero consideration to any third-party developers who products are seriously affected by anything Apple changes to "improve security" (translation: To make your Apple computer harder to use, more complex, with more processes running in the background and therefore more likely to perform poorly.)

When is Dropbox going to fix this?

Anna R.5
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Wow, what a nightmare! What exact version of Monterey is it that you've upgraded to? Is it 12.3? I'm still on 12.2.1 for fear of something like this happening.

FogCityNative
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

All of Monterey is bad. Many new processes like triald that all use up CPU and Apple isn't telling users what they do. Still getting CPU Frequency throttling where the temperature sensors are not hot and the system throttles the computer by lowering the speed of the CPU and via kernel task giving the CPU lots of useless tasks to run to make the CPU too busy to respond to the user.

I am in the process of creating a new user, and moving over all the files in my Download, Desktop, and Picture folders. Every user has their own set and Apple has made to provision for easily creating a new user profile that duplicates your current profile.

I've installed TG-Pro to create my own fan curve which helped keep the fans from going screaming crazy at 6,500 RPM and monitor all 18 of the temperature sensors.

I also got iStat to monitor CPU load and frequency. There are hundreds of online requests for help relating to Monterey running poorly on Intel hardware. So far, Apple is blaming the users and not accepting any responsibility. They're happy Intel users are suffering poor performance on their computers, so we will all be so dissatisfi

Remember Apple accidentally on purpose made sure that iOS updates made users phones run worse than before the update. Apple got sued over that one and lost the case.

So, now on top of all these problems, I have to deal with Dropbox not being fully compatible Monterey.

ntauthority
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
@fog what method are you referring to when you said you can duplicate user profile?

pelmered
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is this still not released in the stable version? I still get this message.
Is there an ETA for this fix?

Edit: I see now that I already have early releases on in my preferences. How come I haven't got the update yet?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sphen Collaborator | Level 8
    alan_feedwire Explorer | Level 4
    pelmered Helpful | Level 6
    BlastCreative Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?