cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox + Ubuntu 22.04 - pop-up message at startup.

Dropbox + Ubuntu 22.04 - pop-up message at startup.

Bwucie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This persistent popup described here: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Dropbox-software-needs-installation-on-every-... (but I can't post into that thread) still persists into the latest Long Term Support version.

None of the answers in the old thread work for me, and haven't worked over multiple Ubuntu versions for years.

When you set Dropbox to run on startup, the command it applies is "dropbox start -i". If you go to System Tools>Startup Applications>Dropbox and edit the command to read "dropbox start", the recurring, annoying, pop-up goes away.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Bwucie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This does appear to work:

1. Remove Dropbox and its configuration.
    sudo apt purge --autoremove dropbox
  2. sudo apt install nautilus-dropbox and allow it to automagically install the Dropbox binary.
  3. Run Dropbox from your menu or ALT+F2 'dropbox start'.
  4. Edit dropbox.desktop:
    In a terminal either
    pkexec gedit /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop OR sudoedit /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop and change line 5 to read:
    EXEC=dropbox start
  5. Save and exit.
  6. Go to Startup Applications, and edit the command for Dropbox to read 'dropbox start'
  7. Reboot.

First reboot may produce a (different) popup saying Dropbox needs to restart to complete installation, click the button, get rid of the popup and that should work the magic. I've run multiple shut downs and boots now, and the Autostart command does not get rewritten after editing dropbox.desktop.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Bwucie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

**bleep**, I was wrong! Turns out Dropbox resets the entry each time it starts, so on the second reboot after "fixing" the problem it comes back again.

Reading various posts in various forums it does seem to afflict mainly Ubuntu and derivatives distros, so I'd make a guess it is an Ubuntu problem rather than Dropbox. (Though I have one rig running Zorin 16, based on Ubuntu 20.04, using thunar-dropbox-plugin that DOESN'T do it!)

It doesn't seem to make any difference if you install the Dropbox app manually from the Dropbox site, or install nautilus-dropbox via a package manager, you only get one reboot after changing the command in Startup Applications before it resets. Sorry to raise false hope! We'll just have to g on clicking 'Cancel' on the popup until somebody a bit geekier than me comes up with a working solution.

Bwucie
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This does appear to work:

1. Remove Dropbox and its configuration.
    sudo apt purge --autoremove dropbox
  2. sudo apt install nautilus-dropbox and allow it to automagically install the Dropbox binary.
  3. Run Dropbox from your menu or ALT+F2 'dropbox start'.
  4. Edit dropbox.desktop:
    In a terminal either
    pkexec gedit /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop OR sudoedit /usr/share/applications/dropbox.desktop and change line 5 to read:
    EXEC=dropbox start
  5. Save and exit.
  6. Go to Startup Applications, and edit the command for Dropbox to read 'dropbox start'
  7. Reboot.

First reboot may produce a (different) popup saying Dropbox needs to restart to complete installation, click the button, get rid of the popup and that should work the magic. I've run multiple shut downs and boots now, and the Autostart command does not get rewritten after editing dropbox.desktop.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Bwucie Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?