cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox desktop app freezing windows explorer

Dropbox app freezing Windows Explorer

OscarV
Explorer | Level 4

Hi!

I'm having troubles with the Dropbox desktop app. It is syncing correctly, and I can access it just fine through my Windows Explorer, but after selecting a file it crashes my Explorer.

I have tried several fixes, including making an exception for Dropbox in my Virusscanner and checking Firewall Issues. Also tried re-installing it (several times). 

Can you suggest an alternative fix?

Kind regards,

Oscar

114 Replies 114

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @PeppeVaro, I hope you're well today!

So I can get a better idea of your current set up, can you let me know the following:

• Which version of the desktop app do you have installed?
  • Can you check for symlinks within the Dropbox folder with the steps in point 7 here?
  • Is there any change if you temporarily disable any antivirus software running?

Let me know what you find and we'll go from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @agomulka!

I've just sent you an email, please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can take it from there. :envelope_with_arrow:

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

PeppeVaro
Helpful | Level 6

Hi,

I am using Dropbox 87.4.138 (up to date)

I checked Symlinks and I have only the one of the folders that are SmartSync, plus some files in the .dropbox.cache folder.

Antivirus disables doesn't change performances.

Thanks for your attention

Peppe

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for getting back to me here @PeppeVaro!

Could you try temporarily closing the desktop app on your computer and try taking the same actions again to see if the system still freezes? You can close the app by:

1. Clicking the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Quit Dropbox".

Do you have the same issue if you make a change within another location outside of your Dropbox folder?

Keep me posted!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

TazzyT
Explorer | Level 4

So I uninstalled DropBox and Office.  Office products were the primary file types that were freezing from DropBox.

I then reinstalled Office, rebooted, and then I reinstalled DropBox.  However, this time I installed DropBox to my C: drive and pointed my save folder to my secondary drive.

At this time my issues seem to have stopped. This tells me that there were a couple issues:

• Conflict or corruption between Office and DropBox
  • This new DropBox version with SmartSync and the desktop app does not like to be installed on a secondary drive. Previous versions worked fine this way.

I will monitor for the weekend but I hope this did it for me.

Hope this helps someone else.

Spikemasta
Explorer | Level 3

I am having the same problem as many others in this thread.
My file explorer in Windows 10 is freezing only when browsing the Dropbox directory.
I've tried all steps in this thread with no luck yet and want some help. So far, i've completely uninstalled dropbox (when that is done
file explorer works normal), I've uninstalled Microsoft Office, and once that was uninstalled, the dropbox folder was working again as normal.
However, when i reinstalled Office, the same problem occured again. I've tried reinstalling dropbox (as administrator each time), and going back
to my original directory and even to the default standard directory with only 1 folder to sync.

I'm not sure what else to try and ask for help.

Thanks.

SteveGSantaFe
Explorer | Level 4

I am still having no luck. Just wasting lots and lots of time sending "troubleshooting" stuff to support. Now into months of frustration.   Fortunately google backup and sync works with no problem.  I'm about to move there 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Spikemasta, thanks for joining the discussion!

Have you tried temporarily disabling any firewall or antivirus programs you have installed on your computer? A few users have mentioned that disabling BitDefender did the trick.

I was able to locate your open request with our Support team for this issue, so if the issue persists after trying the above then please feel free to get back to me there.

We will need to have a look into some device specific info, which we will need to do through our Support channel via email.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Spikemasta
Explorer | Level 3

Replying via email thread. Thanks.

However, i am only using windows Firewall and no antivirus, so i dont think that is the issue. This just started freezing yesterday, as i have used it for years with no problems.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the info @Spikemasta!

The next troubleshooting step I'd suggest would be to do an advanced reinstall of the desktop app to see if that helps with this issue.

If this doesn't do the trick, please reply back to my email and we'll continue looking into this from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?