cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox application just opens a Finder window now - won't open app!

Dropbox application just opens a Finder window now - won't open app!

Michael L.80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

When I run the Dropbox application on Mojave or Cataline Mac OS, instead of the application, it just opens a new Finder window. I want the application back - how do I run it?

19 Replies 19

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

@MTibbs 

The screen you are talking about has been depreciated. The only thing you can now see is a finder window. The rest should be done at the website. It isnt possible to get it back now. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

wendy_mugridge
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

That is not what the message says. In any event, I find the website to be very slow and cumbersome. I can't figure out how to search for phrases. 

Cendrid
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Refund, Refund, Refund!

MC83
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I really liked the feature in the app where it would list my starred folders on the left panel for side-by-side easy access next to the rest of my files.  The website also no longer allows for this feature.  The restructuring of the website is also more cumbersome (requires more clicks) in its organization that it was previously.  How do we get this back? 

Michael L.80
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is terrible, because the app was the only way to get links to Dropbox files (for sharing) when right-clicking on it in the Finder window didn't produce any of the Dropbox context-sensitive options, which happens routinely for some reason. Can someone at Dropbox confirm please: the standalone application is really gone and not coming back??

driccio
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello, this was discontinued as of January 17, 2022. Is there a way to access this feature again?

LK55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same issue.  I have been troubleshooting this for two days and I can't come up with an answer.  My Dropbox app worked great and all of a sudden it stopped working and now only Finder opens.  I went to preferences as they recommended, uninstalled the app and reinstalled it again, I restarted the laptop several times and nothing.  It doesn't work.  Please Dropbox people, the App is great, but it can't be used.

LK55
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have been troubleshooting this for two days and I can't come up with an answer.  My Dropbox app worked great and all of a sudden it stopped working and now only Finder opens.  I went to preferences as they recommended, uninstalled the app and reinstalled it again, I restarted the laptop several times and nothing.  It doesn't work.  Please Dropbox people, the App is great, but it can't be used.  You guys need to get on this.

mercy_gt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

@LK55 they have killed the app window on purpose. Can only use Finder now (or website). 

It's ridiculous. 

mcgweno
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

From Mark SuperUser II: "The screen you are talking about has been depreciated. The only thing you can now see is a finder window. The rest should be done at the website. It isnt possible to get it back now."

I don't understand, and it's pretty clear that I'm not the only one...

What is the purpose of the desktop app if it serves only as a shortcut to my system's native directory viewer, where it's syncing files with the web version, where I have to go for any of the other Dropbox functionality?

I'm writing this two weeks AFTER the apparent date that the desktop app was "deprecated," and yet I was able to download the desktop app at https://www.dropbox.com/downloading, and install it with apparent success, until I couldn't get the app to open -- OR show up on my dock, by the way. There was no messaging telling me anything about these changes, so the experience I was having was that something wasn't functioning as it should. I spent a lot of time trying to fix it! What a waste of time. Couldn't you have saved people that hassle?

Why would you do this? And why are your forum supporters like Megan (Dropboxer) so uninformed about it that they would offer a response like this:

"...we’re simplifying your desktop experience with improvements to Windows Explorer, macOS Finder, and the taskbar/menu bar.

Support for the desktop window ended on Jan 17, 2022.

Don’t worry—we're continuing to support a great desktop app experience for you and your content is still safe with us."

No shade to Megan or Mark, they're clearly doing the best they can with no communication from the powers-that-be inside Dropbox. But how are we to interpret a statement that says "the desktop window is no longer supported, but we're continuing to support a great desktop app experience"? All there is left of the desktop experience is a folder containing files syncing to the web. 

I've recently gotten a new Mac laptop, and have been going back and forth on whether to stay with Dropbox or acquiesce to Apple's pressure to switch to iCloud -- which is not only built in, but would save me $13 a month. I think you've provided the tie-breaker.

Need more support?