cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox desktop app won't open after Mac OS update to Monterey 12.6

Dropbox desktop app won't open after Mac OS update to Monterey 12.6

Pauline Hubner
New member | Level 2

I've just updated my Mac OS to Monterey 12.6 which involved me having to do wipe my machine and do a clean install. The Dropbox app has been restored back into my applications when I restored from my back-up, but the Desktop app doesn't seem to be functioning. When I click on the Dropbox app from applications, nothing happens. I tried to download the app again but it just told me I already had it.

Any ideas? Should I remove Dropbox from my applications completely and try downloading and installing the Desktop app from scratch?

9 Replies 9

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Pauline Hubner, welcome to our Community! 

If I were you, I'd try exactly what you mentioned. Uninstalling the app, then re-installing it might do the trick for you. 

Can you give it a go, and let me know of any updates? Thanks a bunch! 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

DustyDesigns
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling on MacOS 12.6 but now I can't even launch the driver to reinstall the application.

Pauline Hubner
New member | Level 2

I am by no means a tech-type (very much 'need to know'/muddling-through basis (and lots of crossing fingers) so all that follows I see basically as some kind of weird computer alchemy/fate.

I put the Dropbox application in the bin, emptied the bin, restarted my Mac, turned off my wifi and plugged in to the internet via ethernet cable instead. I then downloaded the Dropbox for desktop app again using Safari (I had used Firefox previously - have no idea if that's relevant or not!!) and it SEEMS to now be working... the icon appears in the top menu bar and I was able to go in and deselect folders that I didn't want to sync with my machine as I used to. When I'd tried downloading the app previously, it seemed to download then I had the same problem as you i.e. the driver wouldn't even launch. Doing a fresh download using a different browser and with an arguably more stable internet connection seemed to help in my case (but maybe you've already tried that?!)

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey Pauline, thanks for sharing your great troubleshooting! I am happy to see that the app is now working as it should.

Happy Thursday @DustyDesigns, I hope you're doing well! Can you try out the steps, Pauline suggested and let me know the results? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

DustyDesigns
New member | Level 2

I am up and working again using a different method. All I needed to do was delete the application and make sure that the most recent dropbox installer was downloaded.

When using the "get app" prompt from the dropbox landing page HERE it didn't download the most up-to-date installer. After a while I found a working installer through this dropbox help page HERE.

madzarica
Explorer | Level 3

Hi, I uninstalled drobox but it won't re-install now. Any ideas? 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @madzarica, what error are you getting when attempting to reinstall the app. Are you using this link to install the app?

Jay
dropbox.com/support

madzarica
Explorer | Level 3

Hey, thanks for the reply. That's the link I am using. I found instructions what to delete in order to get new installation to work. However, an update requires moving a Dropbox to a new location which is what cause the problem previously so I am not updating for now. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

What error are you experiencing currently? A screenshot showing this would help greatly.

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    madzarica Explorer | Level 3
    DustyDesigns New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?