cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox for MacOS is now ready

Dropbox for MacOS is now ready

Grokitas
Explorer | Level 3

I've got Dropbox installed on an M1 MacBook. After upgrading to Ventura 13.0 it brings up a notification. If I click on "Get started" and go through all the steps in the process it appears to work, but the notification never goes away, and doesn't have any method to manually remove it. I've tried restarting the Dropbox app, and restarting the whole computer. Neither make the notification go away.

258 Replies 258

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Rebecca-Nestor, I've just sent you an email, so we can continue investigating this there.

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

aldee
Explorer | Level 3

Walter,

Thanks for your reply some time ago. I got very busy, so I am returning to this issue only now...

Two things:

1. my Dropbox icon in the Finder menu now shows the number 3 (used to be 1 and 2).

What do these numbers mean? Makes me nervous, feels ominous, like at some point it will self-destruct...  😂😱

2. I am NOT interested in ONLINE ONLY. I am a Dropbox Basic user.

(Moreover, the Help file https://help.dropbox.com/sync/make-files-online-only says 

this feature is available to all versions except Basic.) 

So, can I ignore the reminders to update and continue using Dropbox for offline only?

In any case, my machine appears to automatically update the version, right now it shows 168.4.4802 when I control+hover over the Finder menu icon. The Dropbox folder is still in Favorites. So far my files get uploaded and synced fine, but I am very concerned. It feels like it may soon be necessary to look for another backup service? This would make me very unhappy.

Thank you for your attention.

Al

bobbyg123
Helpful | Level 5

There are more than a dozen folks at my work that have the same issue so this appears to be a bug with Dropbox. Personally have verified I am on the most recent update, I have granted full disk access, I have ran through the upgrade process 6-7 times, with the same result.

It is worth noting that Dropbox appears to be working as I can access existing content and new content seems to sync fine.  I simply have the error message, but my OCD thinks this could cause some unforeseen issue down the line.

I see a lot of requests to reach out to folks individually to troubleshoot, but given how many folks have the same issue, this appears to be a Dropbox bug.  I hope there is a fix soon.

Screenshot 2023-03-05 at 7.51.37 AM.png

mike15gp
Explorer | Level 4

Like bobbyg123, I am in waiting mode for a fix. My DB works fine, but won't execute the update. Stuck on 168.4.4802. No one has contacted me, though I see other case-by-case private diagnostic sessions occurring. Still curious as to why menu-bar DB says 168.4.4802, while Finder/Applications DB says 161.4.4923 (modified Nov 23, 2022). Current equipment iMac M1, MacOS Ventura 13.2.1.

Gary12
New member | Level 2

Hello, I have tried to update dropbox on my MacBook Pro (Ventura 13.2.1) 4 times now as advised in recent email from dropbox. Despite going through this process, receiving and entering my security code and selecting the basic version, my dropbox folder has not moved from favourites to locations in finder. The dropbox icon is still showing the notification icon and when I open it, it still says " Dropbox for Mac OS is now ready" So it appears that the update has not happened.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Gary12, thanks for posting here today! 

Can I send you an email, in order for us to have a closer look into this?

Let me know, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Gary12
New member | Level 2

Hi Megan,

Thanks for your reply. 

My email should be on my account as I prefer not to post it on here.

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Gary12! I just messaged you to the email address that’s tied to your Community profile here. 

When possible, please reply back to it.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

TomOlin
Explorer | Level 4

Here's an update on my situation.

To recap: There are 2 user accounts on my wife's iMac. Let's call them D and B. For user B, Dropbox was working fine. It worked okay for user D except for a persistent badge advising her to "upgrade" her Dropbox installation (move the Dropbox folder to CloudStorage, even though it was already there).

Dropbox Support contacted me and had me try various things to no avail. Then they had me remove a fileproviderctl property from D's Dropbox folder. No change. For good measure, they had me remove it from B's folder as well. And just like that, Dropbox would not even start for user B. It's been like that for a week. In that time, I've been unable to sync passwords because Dropbox is broken.

A few days ago, Dropbox said that beta v170 would fix the problem. Today, v170 showed up. The good news: D's upgrade badge is finally gone.

The bad news: B still cannot run Dropbox.

What started as an annoyance is now (for the past week) a total breakage.

From a developer perspective, I find it surprising that a change to user B's Dropbox folder would be expected to have an effect on user D.

Dropbox should be able to do better than this.

FINAL UPDATE:

To resolve user B's problem, Dropbox had me do an advanced reinstall which achieved the desired result. As of now, both users have functional Dropbox installations.

tandiary
New member | Level 2

This is definitely a bug. Will Dropbox fix this bug?

Need more support?