cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox not connecting upon system startup on Windows

Dropbox not connecting upon system startup on Windows

Wilhelmus
Helpful | Level 6

I have the Dropbox app on 3 W10 PCs and one of them is an Acer laptop where a problem occurs that does not occur on the 2 others.

The connection to Drop.com is not established automatically when the laptop is started. The icon also does not appear in the system tray. Only by activating C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client\Dropbox.exe will the icon appear. But there is still something not right and that is that right-clicking on the icon does not establish the connection.

I have reinstalled Dropbox several times, but without results.

Who can help me with a solution here?

Regards, Wim

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Wilhelmus
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Mark,

the message you sent me contained a number of thought-provoking actions. And what struck me was the mention of a reinstallation several times.
I had already done that a number of times and so I now decided to take a rigorous action to completely, completely remove Dropbox from the laptop.
So no sooner said than done and there you have it...... the laptop now also has a well-functioning Dropbox App.
So what I did with total removal worked and is probably the best method for any app, I think. Thanks for the tip, Mark

regards, Wim

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Mark
Super User II

Does it give any error messages when you start up @Wilhelmus ?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Wilhelmus
Helpful | Level 6

No Mark, the only error is that the icon does not appear and the connection with mij account is not possible. But the synchronisation works.

Regards, Wim

Mark
Super User II

@Wilhelmus wrote:

No Mark, the only error is that the icon does not appear and the connection with mij account is not possible. But the synchronisation works.

Regards, Wim

I have a feeling your issue may be related to this post.

At the moment I have no suggestions I'm afraid

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Wilhelmus
Helpful | Level 6

Hi Mark,

the message you sent me contained a number of thought-provoking actions. And what struck me was the mention of a reinstallation several times.
I had already done that a number of times and so I now decided to take a rigorous action to completely, completely remove Dropbox from the laptop.
So no sooner said than done and there you have it...... the laptop now also has a well-functioning Dropbox App.
So what I did with total removal worked and is probably the best method for any app, I think. Thanks for the tip, Mark

regards, Wim

ae1m
Helpful | Level 6

I have the same problem.  When you say you totally removed it, was it using the Programs feature to uninstall from Control Panel?  I did that but my problem still exists.  Dropbox starts but wont connect to internet.  I close it and launch the client and it connects immediately.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hey @ae1m, let's jump right into this! 

Let's start with some of the basics here, shall we? 

Would you mind clarifying the OS you're using, along with the version of the Dropbox app installed on your device? 

When did this behavior start happening? 

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ae1m
Helpful | Level 6

Windows 11 Pro 64b/x64 processor - OS build 22621.3296 16GB RAM

Dropbox V 197.4.7571

Comcast hardwired internet close to 1Gb/S.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @ae1m, thanks for the speedy response! 

What message do you see when the app doesn't connect? 

Does it give you an error, or it simply won't automatically open? Do you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains?

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

ae1m
Helpful | Level 6

Hello, no VPN or anything odd.  It just cannot connect maybe 30% of the time.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Megan Dropbox Staff
    ae1m Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?