cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox notifications popup window is partially off screen; cannot access preferences

Dropbox notifications popup window is partially off screen; cannot access preferences

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox popup window is partially off screen; cannot quit Dropbox.  In Windows 10, in the task bar, I click on Dropbox icon in the task bar notification area and the Dropbox window pops up with the upper half off screen, so I cannot quit Dropbox or access any Dropbox settings, search, open Dropbox folder on local computer or in cloud.  Please don't tell me that is a software limitation with Windows display management.  Many other programs do not have this problem in Windows.  When I increase my resolution through Windows Display settings then Dropbox pops up the window with all the normal icon controls visible.  Up until a few weeks ago the Dropbox window would pop up with the menu icons at the top of the window easily accessible.  Not anymore.  There mus of been a Dropbox update that has screwed up that dialog window.  How do I report this recently introduced bug to Dropbox--not that I actually believe they will fix it. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Iliana-DBX
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hello everyone! 

This Dropbox app scaling issue has been brought to my attention. The issue can be resolved by making DPI scaling adjustments directly to the Dropbox application without making the change to your complete system.

Please follow the steps below to make these changes.

1. Open Windows File Explorer, then copy and paste this file path in the search bar:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Dropbox\Client
  2. Right-click on the Dropbox application in this folder
  3. Select Properties and then click the Compatability tab.
  4. Select Change high DPI settings
  5. Check the box labeled Override High DPI scaling behavior
  6. Then, click the drop down menu and be sure that System (Enhanced) is selected.
  7. Click Apply to save the changes.
  8. Restart your machine and open Dropbox from the system tray.

Sorry for any inconveniences this may have caused. Please let us know if there are any further issues after making these adjustments. 

View solution in original post

74 Replies 74

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Don Jensen, thanks for letting us know about this.

Is your screen zoomed in by any chance?

Can you send us a screenshot of how this looks for you, so we can have a visual?

Thanks!

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't know what you mean by zoomed in this context.  I don't know if Windows 10 has a zoom lens or if the scaling option in Windows suffices for what you mean by zoomed.  I am accustomed to zooming in on a Macintosh and that is not what I see with the scaling options in Window's "Scale and layout" option in Display Settings.  On the Mac 'zoom' actually zooms into the displayed screen; with one option therein truncates the visual area while zooming, and another zoom option is like a magnifying glass to a portion of the screen.  Screen resolution and zooming works on the Mac.  On Windows all-too-many applications have windows that are displayed partially or entirely off screen if the resolution isn't set high enough.  I have only seen an application do that once while using Macintosh computers for 35+ years. 

The takeaway for you is that less than a few weeks ago, whenever I wanted to shut down Dropbox I could click on the icon in the notification area and see the full Dropbox dialog drop down and then choose to quit the application.  In addition, when I go to the applications list from the Windows Start menu, I Dropbox doesn't allow me to quit from there either.  I suppose I could go into task manager and end the process—but that is really stupid programming on the part of Dropbox programmers to require ending the process just to temporarily quit Dropbox—especially considering that it worked previously!  Apparently some update screwed up the notification area access to quit. 

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Here are two images of the Dropbox issue:

dialog hiding icon menu off-screendialog hiding icon menu off-screendialog showing icon menu at topdialog showing icon menu at top

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

How do I report a Dropbox bug?  I have already sought help for my issue on the Community Forum and got no help to solve it.  Therefore I am left to assume it is a bug in a recent update to the Dropbox program code. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @Don Jensen, sorry to jump in here. 

I would like for you to locate your Dropbox icon next to your WiFi, and hover your mouse there. That should give you the app's version. 

Also, can you let me know how long this has been happening for? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The version is 152.44880.  The pop-up also says "Up to date".

How long has this happened for?   I cannot say precisely.  I noticed it sometime during the last month or two. 

I don't need to shutdown Dropbox every week…probably average 2 or 3 times per month…when I need to stop all Internet communications except for security reasons, a select application.  Presently this requires (1) quitting the Dropbox processes because I cannot access the Dropbox menu, then restarting the computer to get Dropbox working again, or (2) changing my display resolution to reach the Dropbox quite menu, then changing it back afterwards; which is a nuisance and sometimes error prone since I have to remember or write down 4 different resolution parameters, e.g. 1600 x 1200 and 1360 x 768. That is a lot of machinations just to temporarily quit Dropbox.  Nearly all other applications provide access to "quit". 

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry for jumping in too, @Don Jensen

Can you please try something else with me and let me know if it works? 

What I’d like you to do is to press Ctrl+ left click on the Dropbox icon instead. Do you see an option saying “Exit Dropbox” perhaps?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Ctrl+ left click on the Dropbox icon does not produce anything different than a single left click on the Dropbox icon;  except it then requires another Ctrl+ left click to close the Dropbox pop-up window.  

Nancy
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hmm, I see. 

In this case, can I log a ticket for you instead, so that we can check this in more detail? 

Let me know.

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joseph B.10 New member | Level 2
    John O.11 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?