cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox on MacOS gives me error "Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment."

Dropbox Not working after restart: Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Domscillator
Helpful | Level 6

I have been experiencing a very frustrating issue with Dropbox the past few days.

Issue: After restarting my Mac Studio (MacOS 13.6.5), Dropbox always gets stuck with the message: 

Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 23.35.44.png

• No VPN
  • No Firewall
  • Home Network
  • Fully updated Dropbox

The thing that is baffling is that :

1. If you Quit and restart Dropbox it works immediately but if you restart the computer the issue appears again
  2. If you wait for a long time Dropbox eventually connects and syncs. But it takes a long time
  3. On the same computer, about a week ago, Dropbox was syncing instantly after reboot. 

I have tried already reinstalling and deleting the cache folder.

Is this a known issue that's going on at the moment>

Many thanks

101 Replies 101

wolfie79
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There's a workaround I'm doing currently. Basically you create a shortcut that waits 10 seconds, opens app. Then you choose to add it to the dock. Locate the shortcut app and add it to your login items. That way you get a 10 second delay and it will connect since everything Dropbox depends on is established already.

Roberto B.9
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

same for me. M3

petros4060
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Ben

This is happening on my Macbook pro with m2 hardware as well. Why haven't your software engineers fixed this yet?

Peter

YS11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello. I recently purchased a Mac (MacBook Air 13 M3) and installed Dropbox. I set it to start automatically when the system boots up by selecting "Start Dropbox on system startup." Consequently, Dropbox launches when I power on the device. However, it only displays a message saying, "Reconnecting to the internet. This may take a moment.," without syncing. This issue persists even when the internet environment changes. Sometimes, closing the app and reopening it resolves the syncing issue, but not always.

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @YS11, I hope you're doing well!

Can you please let me know the app's exact status and version as shown in your menu bar?

Also, could you try unlinking and relinking your account through the app's preferences? Maybe that will do the trick.

Keep me posted, and we'll take it from there!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

YS11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I tried to fix the problem by unlinking and relinking my account through the app's preferences, but the issue still persists. The app works occasionally after starting, but it fails to function properly in other cases. The version of my Dropbox app is v.197.4.7571.

Many thanks. 

Megan
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @YS11, thanks for the heads up! 

Is it possible that you have any proxy, VPN, firewall, security software, or even ISP/router settings that could be restricting traffic to the following Dropbox domains, which could be affecting how the app behaves? 

If I were you, I'd also try uninstalling, and then re-installing the app. 

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

YS11
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have checked the security settings and reinstalled the app several times, but I am afraid the problem persists.

Maddux
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi.

It has been 3 weeks since it was mentioned that the problem was flagged to the engineering team. Workaround doesn't work for me, so I can't access my information. 

shirish75
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Looks like Dropbox team is not looking into this blocker issue..good that it happened at time of subscription renewal..this is very surprising, a blocker issue (and possibly not too complex) and no one cares. 

Need more support?