cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox prevents Windows from going to sleep?

Dropbox prevents Windows from going to sleep?

iksa
Explorer | Level 4

I'm running Dropbox on my Windows 10 Home Edition. The computer is Acer Predator PH315-51. The problem is that Dropbox prevents my system from going to sleep (also hibernate) properly. As soon as I have the Dropbox desktop app installed, trying to put the laptop to sleep leaves it in a weird state that turns the display off but fans and keyboard lights stay on, and the only way to recover it from that state is to hard shut down it and lose all unsaved data and running apps and jeopardize corrupting the hard drives. When I uninstall Dropbox, the sleep problem goes away and comes back when I install Dropbox again, so I'm pretty sure Dropbox is the culprit. I found this post https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Dropbox-installs-integrations/Does-Dropbox-prevent-Windows-from-slee... but it claims dropbox does not do anything to prevent the computer from going to sleep which I'm having hard time to believe and my problem is quite opposite to the one in that post in the first place.

Any ideas what I could do to make sleep work and have Dropbox app installed at the same time? Thanks!

10 Replies 10

mooseboots
New member | Level 2

HI - I don't know whether or not this piece of information will help : I had the same problem using Dropbox on my linux OS (Ubuntu 22.04). Solved the issue by clicking on the Dropbox icon and selecting "Quit". No problems with powering off now.

I hope this helps.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

mooseboots New member | Level 2
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    iksa Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?